Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss new multi-fx - is it 1995?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The biggest annoyance for me was how they tried to hype these releases like an apple keynote. I bought into the hype and was genuinely expecting something to compete with helix. 

When I read about how super impressive and amazing sounding the blues cube is it shows that they have the skills and tech to do modelling well.
    Use that tech for a floor unit! Get rid of COSM. Build a load more amp models other than just the baseman using Roland's Tube Logic and stick them into a new flagship multi fx. It could be great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    It just proves that Boss have no understanding of why their digital guitar gear isn't particularly great in relation to the other stuff on the market. They're redesigning the packaging when the real problem is COSM, and they seem totally unwilling (or unable) to deal with it.
    What makes you say COSM is the problem, out of interest? It's just their name for modelling, rather than a specific technology (I'd find it hard to believe they're still using the same algorithms they built in 1995 for the VG-8).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to give it a chance by plugging in and playing it.

I quite fancy a few pedal sound I haven't got as standalones, so for the rpice of a few pedals this could be what I want.

I actually like the more minimal approach. I have no problem at all having the basic functions a press of a button away, and going into sub menus and the complex interface or linking to a desktop when I'm setting things up.

If it sounds good to me, it'll be good enough for me. If not look elsewhere.

• I thought the demo said it contained all the sounds from the GT100, as it's half the price presumably they've killed off their own more expensive model ...looks on YouTube 'engine from the GT100.' Not quite the same I guess? 

this "same engine" thing Boss claim does make me wonder - I had a Boss BR1600CD recorder that supposedly had the same sound engine of the then Boss GT-6 which I also had at the same time. Now as an experiment I was trying to match the sounds....each effect/amp model I programmed in every single parameter the same and the resulting sounds were VERY different. This makes me wonder why...shouldn't they be exactly the same ? Well all I know is they definitely wasn't...not even close.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited September 2016
    LoFi said:
    It just proves that Boss have no understanding of why their digital guitar gear isn't particularly great in relation to the other stuff on the market. They're redesigning the packaging when the real problem is COSM, and they seem totally unwilling (or unable) to deal with it.
    What makes you say COSM is the problem, out of interest? It's just their name for modelling, rather than a specific technology (I'd find it hard to believe they're still using the same algorithms they built in 1995 for the VG-8).

Exactly - the COSM label is just that its Boss's own buzzword for their modelling. The successive generations of the Boss GT's have been different...COSM is the one a lot of Line 6 fanboys (and others) like to slam...but take a look at for example the GT-100 vids A/B'd against the Pod HD500x on youtube and you will see its not much of a difference. I still think Line 6 win but its not like a night and day thing...its actually pretty close IMO. So this hate for COSM to my mind is way OTT and unjustified. Its 'internet wisdom' that people read and just swallow...often based on just what they read some 13yr write on a forum.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The spec is actually pretty banging on this, particularly for the price. Who cares what it looks like?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I am not going to give it a chance.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited September 2016
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    siraxeman said:
    LoFi said:

Exactly - the COSM label is just that its Boss's own buzzword for their modelling. The successive generations of the Boss GT's have been different...COSM is the one a lot of Line 6 fanboys (and others) like to slam...but take a look at for example the GT-100 vids A/B'd against the Pod HD500x on youtube and you will see its not much of a difference. I still think Line 6 win but its not like a night and day thing...its actually pretty close IMO. So this hate for COSM to my mind is way OTT and unjustified. Its 'internet wisdom' that people read and just swallow...often based on just what they read some 13yr write on a forum.
    You might be right but the label COSM has so many detractors that you'd have thought they'd at the very least rename it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ BOSM maybe?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Who knows, it might sound OK.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    siraxeman said:
    I thought the demo said it contained all the sounds from the GT100, as it's half the price presumably they've killed off their own more expensive model ...looks on YouTube 'engine from the GT100.' Not quite the same I guess? 

this "same engine" thing Boss claim does make me wonder - I had a Boss BR1600CD recorder that supposedly had the same sound engine of the then Boss GT-6 which I also had at the same time. Now as an experiment I was trying to match the sounds....each effect/amp model I programmed in every single parameter the same and the resulting sounds were VERY different. This makes me wonder why...shouldn't they be exactly the same ? Well all I know is they definitely wasn't...not even close.
    Thing is it's much cheaper for them to dump the existing algos on a new DSP than build something from scratch.
  • Sassafras said:
    I don't particularly like the look of any multifx. That one doesn't look any worse than most of the others and as others have said, it's a lot cheaper than Helix/Fractal.
    It's not competing with the Helix/Fractal though, they're 8/10x the price.

It's competing with this:

https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/280432/6689696_800.jpg
    Surely you start from looking at what your competitors are doing?
    Knobs, buttons and screens.

The Boss just looks a massive faff to use in comparison.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    I can't see why it will be any more of a faff, except that there's only one set of knobs.

The Zoom was a faff when you wanted to edit one of the three FX that weren't visible, too.

I may be alone here, but I never got on with my G3. It was fiddly to use, the footswitches were irritating and it just never sounded inspiring.

I preferred the B3, but I didn't keep either of them in the end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sassafras said:
    I don't particularly like the look of any multifx. That one doesn't look any worse than most of the others and as others have said, it's a lot cheaper than Helix/Fractal.
    It's not competing with the Helix/Fractal though, they're 8/10x the price.

It's competing with this:

https://www.thomann.de/pics/bdb/280432/6689696_800.jpg
    Surely you start from looking at what your competitors are doing?
    Knobs, buttons and screens.

The Boss just looks a massive faff to use in comparison.

Following that train of thought, don't we just end up with clones of clones of clones?
    Surely the idea is to come up with something a bit different?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom