Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fuzz issues/which to buy?

What's Hot
simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
edited September 2016 in FX
could do with a fuzz for a few tracks we play in the covers band, but every fuzz ive borrowed or owned just gets lost in the mix. Band consists of drums bass and 2 guitars. (Both of us have marshall-ish type tones, classic rock vibe). 

Any tricks/tips or advice on a particular fuzz that doesnt get lost. Recently had the fulltone 70 which has been the best so far bit still wasnt enough in terms of cut.

doesnt need to have masses of gain, crunchy preferred.

maybe an od with fuzz qualities?

help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72569
    ZVex Fuzz Factory. It can do 'conventional' fuzz as well as the weird squealy stuff, and it will not get lost in the mix.

Or if you want something more controllable - Boss FZ-2. It's based on a Shin-Ei/Univox Superfuzz but has active EQ so you can fine-tune it to sit in the mix better. It also has a useful clean-boost mode for when you don't need it as a fuzz.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited September 2016
    Nice one - cheers dude @ICBM ;

Strangely enough one of the tracks is a muse track so that would suit that nicely 

do you know if they play ball if sat after a wah?
  • have you checked out the "that pedal show" videos on fuzzes? 

Theres a few, one on different fuzzes and two more on specifically muffs and fuzz faces. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • personally tonebender variants tend to work for what you're describing, nice midrange bite, not overly saturated but just a nice classic fuzz tone
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • I shall take a look at those as well then, many thanks @ChrisCox1994 ;

think if watched every TPS at least 15 times lol!!
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Magnetic Effects White Atom or Smallsound/Bigsound's Team Awesome Fuzz Machine are both really versatile. Both Available from Joe's Pedals.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    EQ the amp with lots and lots of mids and reduce the bass. Also, set it to be louder than you usually are.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72569
    Nice one - cheers dude @ICBM ;

Strangely enough one of the tracks is a muse track so that would suit that nicely 

do you know if they play ball if sat after a wah?
    If you don't use both at once it shouldn't matter - at least if the wah isn't buffered. Although I have mine before my wah, I actually prefer the sound of it there - different from my normal wah-into-distortion sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I'm not too sure the FY6 / Boss FZ2 sort of sound would sit too well with a classic rock vibe.

OD with fuzz qualities suggests something like the venerable MXR Distortion +. It's crunchy in nature too. Or if you want something a bit grittier have a look at Harmonic Percolators.
  • Sweet, cheers all!
  • personally tonebender variants tend to work for what you're describing, nice midrange bite, not overly saturated but just a nice classic fuzz tone
    This. 

If you wanted to experiment with ICBM's Boss suggestion for less wonga, one of the Behringer fuzz pedals is a clone of the FZ2. 

Of the two I'd go Tonbender as I think it's got more cut and bite. 
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited September 2016
    Okie dokie

FYI
     current pedals on the board in a true bypass looper are : 

Klon KTR
    Xotic AC Boost
    Barber Gain Changer
    TC HoF mini

wah of choice that sits before the looper is a Dunlop Crybaby Classic

Amp is a Cornford Roadhouse 50 2x12 set to acdc ish type of gain, boosted by aforementioned pedals depending on the track.

one of the above would probably be sold to fund the fuzz
  • Red Llama might work.  Always thought of it as a fuzzy OD rather than a low-gain fuzz, but tons of level and bite if you need it.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Ill check that out too
  • FezFez Frets: 533
    Thorpy FX Fallout cloud.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    JTB 76 :)
  • Diamond Fireburst is the best thing I've found for this, especially into a crunchy amp. Used to sound awesome into my VC30, the mid focus switch really helps to cut through a heavy mix.
  • Tonebender!!!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 614
    Mojo Hand Crosstown fuzz works really well for this. The combination of tone and body controls really help to dial in the amount of "cut-through"  you want. Cleans up well to for a Fuzz. It's predecessor,  the Huckleberry is a good shout too.
    Failing that a Rat does a pretty good fuzz type effect that can really cut through along with a wide variety of other tones.
  • I've got a Way Huge Swollen Pickle mkiis for sale if you're interested? It's big muff-based but covers a lot more ground with the additional controls.