Latest TPS: Plexi pedals including Carpe Diem

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
In this round up I really liked the Rothwell Hellbender, it sounded great, sound like it can do light gain up to heavier so would be good with a clean or boosting a dirty amp, the mid range tone sounds really good. I wasn't overly impressed with the Carpe Diem, especially at twice the price of a Hellbender. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Charlie Brown sounded pretty good too

• I couldn't make it through that episode. I just found it dull and I didn't like the shameless Andertons plug 

I usually like the show but there are only so many all drive pedal shows I can watch
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't like the Charlie Brown, or at least it sounded least MIAB to me, or least amp like anyway. Some real emperor's new clothes going on here, you could do 99% the same as the Charlie with a Boss SD1. They also don't show the usual suspects - Marshall and ZVex come to mind here- that most people can access so it is all about chasing down increasingly expensive stuff and not enough about how to use them. I watched this with some interest but it was just a 50 minute infomercial for stuff I'll never buy like those incredibly expensive cakes they have on QVC. Who buys those cakes? 
    But, yes, TPS, no more f*****g posh over drive shows for a bit please! How about the long awaited pedals into SS amps show, some creative uses for pedals, boards of people who actually make music, some vintage phasers, a bargain bin buy show,etc...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Have you got a link to those incredibly expensive cakes?
    I'm interested in cakes.
  • I often think that Dan's OD sound is slightly dull for my liking; often you see Mick adding more treble to Dan's guitar/ pedal...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The real challenge to any brand affiliation would be a loop switcher comparison.
    For the record, I love my G2 and TPS and blame Dan and Mick for my GAS. 
  • http://www.qvcuk.com/The-Original-Cake-Company-Chocolate-Cake-&-Flapjack-Selection.product.805610.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-805610#divProductDetailVideoPlayer

possibly the best thing about going on that page is the pop up about managing cookies.

Sassafras said:
    I'm interested in cakes.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I often think that Dan's OD sound is slightly dull for my liking; often you see Mick adding more treble to Dan's guitar/ pedal...
    He does play a Tele tho often, perhaps he is used to that over the LP, the sound in the room is brighter? If they are micing towards the edge of the speaker too
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    The first episode of this great show that I've struggled with, I did it, but in three seperate sittings. The main issue for me is that I don't like that Plexi sound, and this just cements it for me - unless you're in the room with a cranked 100 watt Marshall it just doesn't work for me.

And the Les Paul / Plexi thing is one of my pet hate guitar sounds, sacrilege I know, but it just sounds so "cave man rock" to me (a term I made up and don't expect anyone else to necessarily understand!).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    dindude said:
    The first episode of this great show that I've struggled with, I did it, but in three seperate sittings. The main issue for me is that I don't like that Plexi sound, and this just cements it for me - unless you're in the room with a cranked 100 watt Marshall it just doesn't work for me.

And the Les Paul / Plexi thing is one of my pet hate guitar sounds, sacrilege I know, but it just sounds so "cave man rock" to me (a term I made up and don't expect anyone else to necessarily understand!).

Get in the sea
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    http://www.qvcuk.com/The-Original-Cake-Company-Chocolate-Cake-&-Flapjack-Selection.product.805610.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-805610#divProductDetailVideoPlayer

possibly the best thing about going on that page is the pop up about managing cookies.

Sassafras said:
    I'm interested in cakes.

Crikey!
    Sorry I asked. :o
  • dindude said:

You are sick and need help

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    dindude said:

This.

I love the sound of a Marshall breaking up but I just don't think that a pedal sounds like a Marshall. Just like I don't think a pedal sounds like a tweed amp.

I didn't buy into the concept of this weeks show. 
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    Mmmm. I loved this show, and I would be very happy if they did several more shows comparing some of the other MIAB pedals out there. The great news is that all of these pedals sound great, and any would be a great addition to your rig (if you are searching for a bit of Plexi type tone in your gear arsenal).

And, to respond to one of the posters above, I have a Keeley SD1 and a Charlie Brown. The SD1 is a superb pedal, but it absolutely does not do what the CB does in my opinion. 
  • I loved that episode and i'm glad I sat through it. I'm also glad I've got a Wampler Plexidrive Deluxe because I thought it sounded the best out of the whole bunch!
  • I couldn't make it through that episode. I just found it dull and I didn't like the shameless Andertons plug 

I usually like the show but there are only so many all drive pedal shows I can watch
    Yes I have to agree with you too @meltedbuzzbox ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/

• dindude said:

I use the term 'cock rock' usually ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/