China's domination of manufacturing

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24401
While walking through a street market that was packing away yesterday, I was looking at all of the boxes (the plain 'outers' as they're called) as the traders were loading up their vans.  Everything was stamped "Made in China" - *everything*.

It's the same if you look at most stuff in Tesco, Asda, etc - Chinese.

When did China come to have such a complete stranglehold over the manufacture of... well... Everything!

It just seems rather bizarre...  Imagine if everything in the food aisles came almost exclusively from, say, Argentina.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Price!!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10442
    It's the low cost of Chinese labour and the fact they are very good at making things. Once they know how to build something they are better at doing it more efficiently than we are

A lot of UK food comes from China as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    edited September 2016

I sent for one of these distressed/washed out baseball caps from Amazon...£2.97 (including postage) from China 

it's a kinda retro motor oil/engine type logo, amazing cap and quality TBH......on close inspection it says on it ..."stek on the gas"

no shit

tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Because they work people without regard to human rights.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:

It just seems rather bizarre...  Imagine if everything in the food aisles came almost exclusively from, say, Argentina.
    Look at the menus of several corporate pub companies (I work for one) and you'll see it being dominated by foreign produce. I work for one of them. Our 8oz rump steaks cost us just over £2 per steak and the country of origin in the last three weeks of ordering has seen meat come from Argentina, Uruguay, Netherlands, and France. The quality is dreadful but people buy them. Race to the bottom. 

It's one reason why I mock more upscale restaurants for fart on about their local produce. Generally this means they buy local meat and then say fuck all about where their vegetables come from. 

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I'm not sure they totally dominate manufacturing. They do dominate, for low-cost or commodity goods, but not luxury items. And there's massive profit to be made from these types of thing, since "branding" and perception can play a massive amount in setting the value of these items. For example, would you buy a Squier Affinity guitar from China if your budget was £200? Probably. Would you buy an Elite Strat from China, if your budget was £1500? Probably not, you'd do your research and perceive that the only place you'd be happy it were built, for £1500, was USA. If you had less money (say £507) you'd probably be okay with it made in Mexico but not China, etc etc. Plenty of examples for other luxuries eg prestige cars.
  • In addition to the obvious direct cost benefits (currently), Western countries can reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by outsourcing manufacturing to other countries. Then it doesn't get counted as our emissions, even though we are asking for the stuff to be made; so we don't have to give a shit and can carry on consuming.

Globalisation eh?
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    holnrew said:

Yeah but, cheap TVs.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    holnrew said:
    Yup. Some workers actually sleep in the factories. They use child labour. They have no qualms at all about ripping off other people's designs and churning them out at a fraction of the price because there's no R&D costs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    boogieman said:
    holnrew said:
    Yup. Some workers actually sleep in the factories. They use child labour. They have no qualms at all about ripping off other people's designs and churning them out at a fraction of the price because there's no R&D costs. 
    The vast majority of manufactured goods have very low R&D costs compared to subsequent volume of manufacture.  That case has been overstated many times.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    Sounds like Sports Direct!

I've been to a few factories in England that could easily be somewhere in China or India.  We probably need to get our own shop in order as well, some of the conditions in the UK are just as bad.  These are obviously on a smaller scale and off the radar but it could easily be addressed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    monofin said:
    Price!!

Yep. and a lot of it is cheap crap to be honest. Not sure if the old saying, "you get what you pay for" is entirely true nowadays.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    In the 19th century, British manufacturing dominated the world in the same way - including at the cheap shoddy end with workers in poor conditions.

In the 20th century, American manufacturing did.

In the 21st century, Chinese manufacturing will.

This is the reason they have been/will be the defining superpowers of their respective centuries.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Worth noting that a lot of the big manufacturing plants in China are not owned by the Chinese. They are owned by a whole range of companies throughout the world. They obviously own a whole load themselves, but as people have said the labour is cheap and actually pretty experienced too.
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    China is losing out - costs are rising and the way people buy is changing. A problem with making things in China is you have to go for volume due to  the lead times in getting restocked if demand is high (manufacturing and shipping). For example, Apple caught a cold with large stocks of unsold iPhones and iPads. If manufacturing is closer to your key markets you can structure what you make to demand. Firms are therefore starting reshoring manufacturing back to the UK - still a long way to go but China is no longer thought of as the only place to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26235707

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!