Zoom G3x _should I?

What's Hot
I was looking around at looper pedals to give me some options for building a bit of a jam up. 
Im a home player, with a THR10c, a Tele and LP. I love the tones I get from the THR, especially when I link it to the PC to get access to the compressor and room reverb.

I initially looked at a Boss RC3 as it's the go to looper but as I don't need an overcomplicated setup, I then saw that Zoom were doing the very affordable G1xon with a looper and as an added bonus, it was an effects pedal too! Then I started looking at G3x on eBay and I can get a used one for only a little more. 

The THR doesn't have an effects loop so if I'm looping with a dedicated looper then I can only use one sound throughout whereas with one of these effect pedals, I can setup separate channels so I can lay down a clean rhythm and then drive it a bit more for a solo.

Is it worth going for the g3x or is there a better alternative for the money?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm a big fan of the G3x for the effects in it but the looper is a bit of a faff to use. Particularly if you want to switch between the looper and effects.

If you are using a PC anyway, why not build up your loop in ableton or something similar and noodle away over that?

Alternatively, TC Dittos can be had for pretty decent money now.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Yeah you should get it, I have the G1Xon and it's pretty damn good for the money.  Better than any of the Boss multi effects.
  • Thanks for the comments. The only criticism of the G3x I can find is that there is no aux input to it so jamming along to stuff on YouTube and spotify directly into the g3x is a bit of a no no. I know I can plug it into the THR and use the aux input through that but I would have liked that option so if I take the guitar and fx pedal away from home with just tablet and headphones I can still jam along.

It does seem like the g3x is the defacto go to budget fx/looper option though. 
  • I got a G3 a few weeks ago and I love it. Use the looper every day. Not much of a learning curve and tons of useful info on the net. I'd go for it.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Thanks for the comments. The only criticism of the G3x I can find is that there is no aux input to it so jamming along to stuff on YouTube and spotify directly into the g3x is a bit of a no no. I know I can plug it into the THR and use the aux input through that but I would have liked that option so if I take the guitar and fx pedal away from home with just tablet and headphones I can still jam along.

It doesn't have an aux but if you plug a PC or laptop into the USB socket you can jam along like that, mp3 or YouTube, it's how I do most of my practising these days. At the same time the USB powers it so no need of batteries or mains power 

Well, do you really need the G3? The G1on does almost the same, but has an aux input.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a G3X and I use the looper for home practice. It syncs with the drums patterns so it is hard to cock the looping up. Great for practising phrasing and "playing the changes". If you want to become a looping expert then probably the drum syncing is too much hand-holding, but it is fine as a practice tool.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • dedekind said:
    Thanks for the comments. The only criticism of the G3x I can find is that there is no aux input to it so jamming along to stuff on YouTube and spotify directly into the g3x is a bit of a no no. I know I can plug it into the THR and use the aux input through that but I would have liked that option so if I take the guitar and fx pedal away from home with just tablet and headphones I can still jam along.

Well, do you really need the G3? The G1on does almost the same, but has an aux input.
    Yeah I noticed this and did look at the G1xon initially. I looked to the G3 though as it has longer looping ability. Maybe the option of using with PC is the way forward. Either way I think one of the Zoom pedals (a G1 or G3) is the best option at the moment. Maybe in time I'll fancy something else but it's almost worth giving them a go for the money.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

The G3X is excellent value for money when you consider all of the stuff it has in it. I originally bought mine to use as an amp modeller (into a hi-fi amp, and then into two 1x12 guitar cabs). When I changed amp, I kept it and put it in the loop to use the compressor, vibe pedal and EQ. I recently added a couple of modulation effects that I don't use much. (Comperssor and EQ are on all the time, and the vibe and other two effects are mapped beside each other, so the three footswitches are used for them.)

Even if you start by using it as a looper or whatever, and then change to something else, there's a good chance it can be reused for a different purpose.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Found one fairly local in mint condition so off to get it this aft
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I ended up buying one, but haven't yet had the chance to use it. Looking forward to getting into the menus this weekend and seeing what can be created. 
  • I just bought a g3 the other week, sounds ace through headphones. Needs a bit of tweaking through an amp. . But a very nice bit of kit. .simple to use.  It's my 6th zoom product. I also have a ms70 cdr but that's not seen much use since my g3 .I bought some rechargeable batteries and they seem to give longer use. :-)
  • Sorry I've not tried a zoom since the 2020 and later the Gu1x are they a serious option now? They were always appalling compared to anything the other multi fx guys were making.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Yeah Ben I think they sound great to be honest wiv u m8.  The G series pedals are very good value for money and sound decent I reckon.    
  • Yeah Ben I think they sound great to be honest wiv u m8.  The G series pedals are very good value for money and sound decent I reckon.    
    Hmmmm might have to get over my snobbery lol.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a 3030 years ago and it was average. I've had a Mustang III which was great but too loud home use. I then sold it and bought a Yamaha THR10c. To be honest the 10c is the closest I've got to a tube sound but it's a bit low on gains. I've had a play with the G3x tonight a bit and I think less is more. I'm using it as a pair of pedals rather than a whole chain of effacts. The tube screamer sounds great, and the compressor means I don't have to put the THR through the PC to get that option. Looper seems fun and the rhythms are entertaining but no good through the THR as it picks up the THR settings.
    There's a lot of effects on the G3x I can see myself never using but some of the reverbs and delays seem to be very good. 
    Hmmmm might have to get over my snobbery lol.
    I only play mine at low volume so not sure if it would sound as good at high volume, although I'm sure you could tweak it and make it sound good.  Loads of patches and settings online too to get you started and you can work you way up once you have a base tone.