Repairing small tear in foam edge on and old Celestion.......any ideas?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    dchwhite said:
    surfguy13 said:

The best thing I've found for patching up wellies is a puncture repair patch for a bicycle.....always worked for me.  Just rub the surface of the wellie around the hole with sandpaper, apply the rubber solution, let it go off a bit until it's just tacky and then apply the patch.  It does depend where it is though and if it's in an area around the ankle where the boot flexes a lot.

What a kind man - not only letting me spam your thread, but also providing me with a new method - thanks Guy :) The best glue I've found so far is called Stormsure; it does seem to last for a few months, but like everything else, gives up eventually (or my application method is poor, which might be closer to the truth...). I shall give your method a try - thank you :)

I reckon anything you patch wellies with is going to give up the ghost after a while!  I was a forestry contractor for 20+ years and in the winter we used special wellies with ballistic padding and extra insulation.....they were and still are mega bucks to buy.  However, it was common to get holes either as a result of sharp branches making a puncture of nicks from the chain saw and in the main around the ankle area where you've got the problem.  All of us would use large rubber patches (in some cases bicycle inner tubes) with the rubber solution you get in puncture repair kits.  These would last OK but inevitably they would eventually go. 

Good luck!!!  :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    Gosh, all this fuss.. In my day we used to use Gaffa tape to fix everything, split speaker cones, split bass-drum heads etc.
    Never let us down! 
    :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133

equalsql said:
    Gosh, all this fuss.. In my day we used to use Gaffa tape to fix everything, split speaker cones, split bass-drum heads etc.
    Never let us down! 
    :)
    Yup, you're right, whatever was at hand........!  :)  However, gaffa tape never lasted did it and you ended up getting the speaker reconed.

I've just taken all the helpful advice on board and done the repair.  I used a small piece of tissue paper and copydex and the job is superb.  I gave the tear a thin coat of copydex first and let that dry for 24 hours and then put another thin coat over the area and laid a small piece of tissue paper on top.  I then brushed on more copydex over the top of the tissue paper and let that dry.  A perfect job.  It's sound as you're ever going to get and it's virtually invisible.  What helped make it invisible was colouring the tissue paper black with a felt marker pen before I used it.

So, I won't be half as apprehensive in future......and thanks for all the advice guys!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom