Stereo Tremolo pedal into DAW

domforrdomforr Frets: 326
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but I'll ask it anyway.

Would using a stereo pedal like the Fulltone Supa Trem 2 going into Reaper, using amp sims, make a big difference to the sound? So basically there would be 2 tracks, each with an amp sim on to emulate the stereo coming from the pedal outputs. Would this be true stereo, or some weird mono/hybrid version that wouldn't really add much?

Essentially, I want to know if the Supa Trem 2 (or something similar) actually needs 2 mic'd up amps to do the job, or if it would work in an ampless scenario.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I prefer to use two mono tracks panned as opposed to 1 stereo. I also like putting 1 side clean and 1 side with gain.. all worth experimenting with.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    So 1 input from your guitar and then 2 tracks from that with clean and gain. Why would that be preferable to true stereo out of interest?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    If you're only using the pedal to split the signal into two then functionally it's no different from going in mono and splitting inside the DAW, surely?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    True, although the Supa trem seems to offer two seperate tremolos from your mono signal if understand correctly? I suppose that might add something to the picture.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    domforr said:
    Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but I'll ask it anyway.

Would using a stereo pedal like the Fulltone Supa Trem 2 going into Reaper, using amp sims, make a big difference to the sound? So basically there would be 2 tracks, each with an amp sim on to emulate the stereo coming from the pedal outputs. Would this be true stereo, or some weird mono/hybrid version that wouldn't really add much?

Essentially, I want to know if the Supa Trem 2 (or something similar) actually needs 2 mic'd up amps to do the job, or if it would work in an ampless scenario.
    There's a lot of different ideas/techniques you've rolled into one post there. Taking them in turn:

Stereo pedal - it depends how it applies its stereo effect. I dare say, stereo pedals are designed typically for a live situation with 2 amps, not necessarily to sound great when recorded as stereo. So it would depend on the pedal concerned.

You mention amp sim, then later you mention 2 mic'd up amps - do you actually have a decent amp to mic up, or are you going to use a software amp sim? I'd have thought to use an amp sim vs mic'd up amps is a separate issue to whether to split into stereo or not. Remember you could always record direct into the DAW then "re-amp" each channel in turn, using the same (or maybe slightly different....) amp settings, mic'd up suitably.

The bit I've highlighted - 1) there is no emulation of the stereo - the stereo is real from the pedal, if its used! Secondly an amp sim doesn't do this "emulation" anyway. An amp sim is mono in, mono out, isn't it???
    I'm not using an amp at all these days, so it's just really in an amp/cab sim scenario. So if I had say the Supa trem 2 going into 2 channels of my Audient ID14 (one for each side) that would be pretty much the same as going through two amps?

I'm really trying to find out if there's any advantage sonically to buying the Supa trem (or similar) or if just using two tracks and splitting my mono signal is basically doing the same thing?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited September 2016
    domforr said:
    So 1 input from your guitar and then 2 tracks from that with clean and gain. Why would that be preferable to true stereo out of interest?
    I don't like mixing stereo signals. 2 mono tracks are easier to handle.  It's then super easy to get panning tremolo sitting nicely.

I'm not much of a mixing engineer so just like what I find easiest!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    domforr said:

I'm really trying to find out if there's any advantage sonically to buying the Supa trem (or similar) or if just using two tracks and splitting my mono signal is basically doing the same thing?
    Are you going to use the tremolo effect, or are you just using it to split the signal?

If the former then there's a point, if the latter then splitting inside the DAW will be the same but cheaper.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Dom, how are you finding the iD14? 

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    My Dunlop tremolo pedal does stereo ping-pong and sounded good in a stereo amp set up (identical left and right) with stereo reverb after the tremolo. Probably not suited to lead guitar, but was nice for more atmospheric sounds.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Dom, how are you finding the iD14? 
    It's very good. Easy to use and nice sound quality. I did have a problem with it after I first bought it (of ebay), but the customer service was excellent and they fixed it for no charge. If you're looking for a simple set-up I would recommend it.
    Sporky said:
    domforr said:

Are you going to use the tremolo effect, or are you just using it to split the signal?

If the former then there's a point, if the latter then splitting inside the DAW will be the same but cheaper.
    Yes, I'd use the tremolo as well. It does seem to offer some extra benefit, as it has the phase correlation knob to alter the stereo sound. Not sure if it's worth it just for that though. I'll experiment with the DAW split first and see how it goes from there. Nice pedal though.