Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chaps- heads up- do read.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30925
I happen to know that Chandlers are closing in a week- for good.

Which is sad as it's always been a place of heritage for nerds.

However, the price drops have started today and I suggest you keep an eye on their site. Already a couple of bargains and also still some drops to go on it methinks.

I want to be marginally subtle about this hence the thread title- I got the heads up two weeks ago but I refrained until the bargains were ready.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shame and a good shout in equal measure. Thanks James. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    As an example, I got my 1970 SE4123 Hiwatt Cab for 500 quid. It was 1000 for a year there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Really sad to hear that. They were one of the very best for a long long time - something like 40 years.
  • @Gassage , you didn't mention the good news. It's becoming the second branch of Anderton's.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had no idea. That's a shame, I got my favourite Strat from there many years ago. I used to go there a lot until I moved house.
    It's not a competition.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks for the heads up James.        Very sad news when shop closes.     I wonder if it's a financial decision or retirement?  

No reductions in the pedals I want but I'll keep an eye on them.   
  • @Gassage , you didn't mention the good news. It's becoming the second branch of Anderton's.
    You serious bro?
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    What a shame, an institution no less.  If I'm looking at the right site though, the sale prices don't look like great bargains (yet).  I'm assuming this is the main Chandlers Guitar site, not Charlie Chandlers?

I remember selling a great HiWatt 4 x 12 cab years ago (over 20 years ago) for peanuts.  The guy said he'd buy it if it fit in his car.  So we go out on the street and he's driving an original 2 door VW Beetle!  But the amazing thing was, he gut the bastard thing in there!
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Bummer
  • cheers
    wow: I assume these are John Renbourn's own guitars:
    http://www.chandlerguitars.co.uk/johnrenbourn.php

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not exactly looking bargaintastic there as we speak. I wonder if they are open to offers. 

My money is on the premises becoming either a coffee shop, a day nursery or an estate agents. Can never have too many of them down in Kew. 
  • I got my first valve amp there. An original Dual Rec.

Cost all of my student grant! :D 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is sad to see shops close. In the last year or so, that neck of the woods has lost the music shop at the top of Twickenham High St, Hands in Kingston and now seemingly this. 
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Coincidentally since Gassage moved to Brum?
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Damn, that's really sad. I first went there in 1981 for some old Fender parts, it was a real eye opener for a Welsh teenager. 
    They were working on Knopfler's resonator at the time, and I had to queue behind Scott Gorham to be served. 
    Wonderful place, especially in the pre-internet age. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Cashing in the property makes more sense than selling guitars 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited September 2016
    West London has lost Chandlers and Peter Cooks then, it is sad, not a lot left this side of town. TBH though, both shops struggled to keep up with the brave new world of online presence and top quality websites.
    Last time I went in there was about 7 years ago to buy a Blues Junior and they were nowhere near on price and tried to convince me that the Internet was the root of all evil.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's the cut and thrust of modern business, keep up or sink like a stone

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You serious bro?
    Word on the street is they're looking to have a more London-centric outlet. @Gassage probably knows this already. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    @Gassage , you didn't mention the good news. It's becoming the second branch of Anderton's.
    You serious bro?
    Word on the street is they're looking to have a more London-centric outlet. @Gassage probably knows this already. 
    If it's true, it's seriously depressing

I've only been in Chandlers once but loved it - was made to feel welcomed and free to try put what I liked

Andertons felt like any corporate megastore

:'( 
    Stop crying, start buying
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom