Delay suggestions EDIT, further questions

professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
edited September 2016 in FX
can't recall if I asked before but I need a good delay. 
Requirements
1) tap tempo
2) midi 
3) presets ( 4 would do but more is nice)
4) looper (would be nice but not essential)

ovbs choices are TimeFactor, Timeline and DD-500 
but any I don't know of?

EDIT. I loved the sound of the TC Flashback X4 but understand it has no midi bypass, could one of the presets be set to Delay level at Zero and use that as the bypass then it doubles as a bypass, but with looper function too? 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Pigtronix 
    Hmmmmmmm interesting 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited September 2016
    Flight time. Nemisis.
    Though not sure if nemisis has presets?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Flight time. Nemisis.
    Though not sure if nemisis has presets?
    The Nemesis has 4, which is expandable to 8 via the software. Or, 128, via midi.
  • DD500
  • The Pigtronix 
    but it's Pony
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I couldn't gel with the Pigtronix. Nemesis is fantastic and does so much for a relatively small footprint (and you can get 128 presets with midi if need be).

Timeline for me, though.
  • I would recommend Eventide in all honesty. I have the H9, but that or the Timefactor would do you perfectly. Unrivalled for Midi capabilities, every parameter of sound modifiable, and ridiculously great sounding. Hugely versitile. 

Reassuringly expensive, you might say  =)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    edited September 2016
    I would recommend Eventide in all honesty. I have the H9, but that or the Timefactor would do you perfectly. Unrivalled for Midi capabilities, every parameter of sound modifiable, and ridiculously great sounding. Hugely versitile. 

Reassuringly expensive, you might say 
    One thing I've discovered in playing with the Time Factor - it does spillover between patches, which the H9 does not.

The reason I chose the Eventide over the Strymon is that it does dual delays in all modes, which - as far as I can tell - the Timeline doesn't. Also, the digital delay sounds a lot better to my ears.
    <space for hire>
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7163
    edited September 2016
    Are you suuure? You can turn trails on on the H9 - does that not do it? 
  • Are you suuure? You can turn trails on? 
    Everything I've seen says that you can't - yes, you can have trails when you bypass the effect altogether, but not when you change patches by MIDI.
    <space for hire>
  • I will have to try that! Mines all midi set up - next time my board is out, I'll double check that - I might have missed it as I have my Moog after it in the chain and tend to stack, but im
    sure it trails between patches. 

Almost. 
  • I will have to try that! Mines all midi set up - next time my board is out, I'll double check that - I might have missed it as I have my Moog after it in the chain and tend to stack, but im

Almost. 
    I think a later version of the firmware may have a pseudo-spillover effect, whereby any residual trails from the previous patch are transferred to the sound of the new patch.

So...if you start on the digital delay and switch to a tape delay, after the switch the trails will be based on a tape delay rather than the digital.

On the Time Factor, the trails from the previous patch would remain as a digital delay while new trails will be tape.
    <space for hire>

Almost. 
    I think a later version of the firmware may have a pseudo-spillover effect, whereby any residual trails from the previous patch are transferred to the sound of the new patch.

So...if you start on the digital delay and switch to a tape delay, after the switch the trails will be based on a tape delay rather than the digital.

On the Time Factor, the trails from the previous patch would remain as a digital delay while new trails will be tape.
    The h9 only spills over on bypass, if you switch from one patch to another the sound stops dead and there is a brief pause before the next effect is usable. 

Well, that my experience on the latest firmware. I'm not using midi though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.