Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some books for holiday please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Image result for van halen rising
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I went through a period of reading musician's autobiographies and my favourites were:

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis
    Slash - Slash
    Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton
    Nile Rodgers book mentioned above is also excellent!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    If you like sport Can I Carry Your Bags by Martin Johnson (the short arse writer, not the tall second row) is utterly side splitting.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited September 2016
    HAL9000 said:
    preferably something light.
    Also, musician biographies are something I quite enjoy.

How about a magician part-biography?  ("Part" because it's mostly about a particular year.)
    I've just finished reading:
    Penn Jillette's,"Presto! How I made Over 100 Pounds Disappear"
    Penn is the big guy from Penn & Teller
    Or he was the big guy, while he's still tall (6'7") he's no longer a "fat fuck".  He dropped over 7 stone in weight and has kept it off.
    Funny, and a very interesting insight into his mindset from denial of any problem, to dealing with it and getting it sorted.
    I enjoyed it a lot.  Came across as honest and I enjoyed the detail, the stories, and the psychology.

• I read a couple of Lester Bangs's compiled review books on holiday. A bit dark in places but stellar writing - cough mixture and other stimulants may have been consumed. 

Thr @Dave_Vader title "Weekend Rockstars" is the very definition of what you're looking for. RomCom set in the low rent but great world of the local covers scene. Very readable and a lot of "That exact same thing happened to me". You'll never take playing SOF for granted again. :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Two of my favourite books:

Motley Crue - the dirt a must read even if you don't like the band! Incredible debauched lifestyle

Richard Feynman - Surely you're joking mr Feynman a book from the world's most fascinating physicist about his life experiences. The world lost a great man when he died.