old iPad - display gone, any ideas?

What's Hot
I suspect it's time to put it in the bin but my old ipad1 has finally stopped working - the screen is blank.
I've tried holding the buttons, and doing a restore via iTunes but no difference.     It still beeps when an email arrives so appears to be working but just a black screen.
Any more ideas before I declare it a write off?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Yay.........iPad Frisbee........ ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Do you need a new chopping board? 
    See if Apple will give you a trade in value for it? 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    edited September 2016
    LCD gone duff I suspect with no backlight, seen that a few times. Repair means removing digitizer with hot air, undoing the 4 screws that hold the LCD down and carefully unclip the cable
    An LCD would be about £20 I would have thought, so not a lot
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    £20 is a bit optimistic. There are at least two qualities of LCD, plus some people are a lot better at doing this than others. Last time Mrs R trod on her iPad I got someone to put a new screen in for £60
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • You can get them on eBay for about £60 depending on the model which makes repairs not very economical. I have an iPad 2 with a cracked screen and a suspected duff back light. I'd like to repair it but it's cheaper to get a 2nd one from eBay. I can't do a factory reset as I have no MacBook to connect with either so if I sold it for spares or repairs I'd be sending it to some random who could access all my emails.
    i might just have to eat it or put it in the furnace. Both more preferable than a trip to an apple genius at the Trafford Centre
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33810
    Sharpen the edges and use it as a rectangular shuriken.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    Roland said:
    £20 is a bit optimistic. There are at least two qualities of LCD, plus some people are a lot better at doing this than others. Last time Mrs R trod on her iPad I got someone to put a new screen in for £60
    £20 is the rough cost of an iPad gen 1 LCD ...... not the cost of doing it

The bit most people think is the screen is actually the digitizer, that's the bit you touch with your hands and that bit cost £12 ish for an early iPad, £18 for an iPad 3 etc. If you tread on an iPad you break the digitizer, not the LCD .... well you might break both if in heels I spose
    The actual LCD screen lives below the digitizer, if there's no display on the ipad then chances are the backlight has gone in the screen.
    If you shine some light into the thing you might just be able to see a faint image on the screen. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • You can get them on eBay for about £60 depending on the model which makes repairs not very economical. I have an iPad 2 with a cracked screen and a suspected duff back light. I'd like to repair it but it's cheaper to get a 2nd one from eBay. I can't do a factory reset as I have no MacBook to connect with either so if I sold it for spares or repairs I'd be sending it to some random who could access all my emails.
    i might just have to eat it or put it in the furnace. Both more preferable than a trip to an apple genius at the Trafford Centre
    do you have an icloud account accessible from a pc or an iphone?  if you do you can go into find my phone and delete/erase the data on the old iPad.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2460
    An iPad 1 isn't worth repairing, even in full working order it's only worth about £50
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • grungebob said:
    You can get them on eBay for about £60 depending on the model which makes repairs not very economical. I have an iPad 2 with a cracked screen and a suspected duff back light. I'd like to repair it but it's cheaper to get a 2nd one from eBay. I can't do a factory reset as I have no MacBook to connect with either so if I sold it for spares or repairs I'd be sending it to some random who could access all my emails.
    do you have an icloud account accessible from a pc or an iphone?  if you do you can go into find my phone and delete/erase the data on the old iPad.
    Thanks. Now set to erase