DIY blood pressure monitors?

What's Hot
I had a hospital appt last week and my blood pressure was measured at 185/115. The nurse said I should keep an eye on it and as I hate going to the docs wondered about doing it myself. There's loads on amazon - anyone got any recommendations/experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7509
    Mine was measured at 224/168 when it was first caught (I now take lots of drugs for it!)

I bought an apparently 'good' one but it never matched the Doc's readings - I think the cuff might have been the wrong size.

In the end I got the Withings one that bluetooths to your phone - expensive but easy to use. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Check out last weeks "Trust me im a doctor" on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07v3pwk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07v3pwk/trust-me-im-a-doctor-series-5-episode-2

They did a round up of home BPM's and checked them against calibrated medical equipment.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I was just watching something about this on "Trust me I'm a doctor" on Iplayer the other day, and they said they'd tested some blood pressure monitors to see which were accurate and which were not. They said they had links on their website about good monitors, but the best I can find is this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1C4RhtHrg4n73gkkn1mpRs1/should-i-monitor-my-blood-pressure-at-home

Of course, you might still find it on Iplayer to watch.
  • Wifey has white-coat-syndrome and generally refuses to get it checked with nurse
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    The key words you want to see on the packaging or marketing info is "Clinically Validated". The very cheapest ones from the likes of Asda, Boots etc won't be, but the next model up probably will be, and don't cost that much more.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited September 2016
    I use an Omron - same as most doctors use.

I suffer from appalling 'white coat' syndrome - my BP is 'always' too high when taken by a medic.

Two years ago mine was regularly 150/95. At the doctors it was 157/114.

Having lost 50 lbs, tonight it was 117/70 - a very good reading for a 52 year old man. I walk a lot (I track the steps - today I've done 10,600) - I eat sensibly and have all but cut out salt.

I've achieved this without being on medication.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I've got a Kinetik BPM1KTL. It's spot on - I took it with me to my cardiologist and compared it with his readings.
    Unfortunately I think it has been discontinued and I'm not sure if the replacement is BHS validated.
    However other less fancy Kinetiks are validated.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9237764.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    edited September 2016
    @monofin 185/115 that is VERY high! surely should be on medication ASAP. I'd get that checked by your GP immediately.

EDIT: I just plugged your figures into the NHS Choices BP tool

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/blood-pressure.aspx

This is the blurb for your reading:
    Your reading of 185/115 is high. If your GP practice does not already know about this, make an appointment to see either your doctor or nurse in the next three days to get it checked.

Seriously, get to your GP!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Thanks guys. Some good info there. Wasn't sure whether the home jobbies were just gimmicks. Its good to get some real life recommendations. Cheers
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I've got a Kinetik BPM1KTL. It's spot on - I took it with me to my cardiologist and compared it with his readings.
    Unfortunately I think it has been discontinued and I'm not sure if the replacement is BHS validated.
    However other less fancy Kinetiks are validated.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9237764.htm

That link looks perfect. Thanks
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited September 2016
    I use an Omron - same as most doctors use.

Same here.  Took my £20 Omron (arm cuff) into hospital (I do a couple of days NHS) and the Omron was identical to the hospital machines.

I can be a bit "white coat" myself so having my own accurate machine, being able to take readings when I want, puts me in control and gives me a good overall picture.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Mrs B was a heart nurse at one time and uses an Omron machine at home, so I'd guess they're pretty good. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2460
    "white coat syndrome" isn't entirely benign, and is associated with developing actual hypertension.

If you're diabetic you want to be really strict with your blood pressure control, as for many of the long term complications of diabetes it is more important than keeping your blood sugars in check.

Also, weirdly, hand grip exercises are a non-pharmacological method of BP control that actually works, can lower your BP by about 10-15mmHg which is as much as a single antihypertensive.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have an Omron, it's pretty good.
    My V key is broken
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2460
    I had mine checked at the GP today and they were using an Omron. 
    117/69 which was good
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!