TC Bonafide Buffer question

RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
Here is my set up:

Guitar - TC Polytune 2 - J Rockett Archer - into input of Victory V40
In the FX loop: TC Bonafide Buffer - Flashback - Hall of Fame - Ditto Looper

I have a question, an anomaly I am trying to understand.

I added the Bonafide buffer because I was having issues with the TC flashback adding brightness when off and losing it when off. That is fixed with the buffer in place - all good.

However, this set up is brighter sounding than when I just run guitar into amp, or when I disconnect the FX loop and take out those pedals.

So the TC buffer isn't just restoring any loss of brightness through cable runs it appears to be adding sparkle.

Now, I like it and was finding the V40 a little dull sounding and having to wind up the tone on the Archer to add sizzle. This isn't such an issue as you turn up the gain on the V40 as that seems to add high frequencies but with gain low it can lack high end and the sparkle that the buffer adds is something have got used to and like.

My question is why does this happen and why do I need a buffer when the Archer has one built in?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll let someone more technically knowledgeable answer the actual question (although I'm pretty sure it's all about impedences and capacitance) but I have another question - why are you using the BonaFide Buffer rather than just switching the Flashback to buffered bypass? Do you hear a difference?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited September 2016
    I'll let someone more technically knowledgeable answer the actual question (although I'm pretty sure it's all about impedences and capacitance) but I have another question - why are you using the BonaFide Buffer rather than just switching the Flashback to buffered bypass? Do you hear a difference?
    No, that works but I don't like delay trails

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    other people will know better than me, but is your fx loop buffered? if it isn't, that might explain what's happening.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tc-electronic-bonafide

No mention there of any artificial "brightening"? The very low output impedance (100 R) might however be doing such a good job of NOT allowing HF to be lost that you are getting a flatter response than ever! I would bet the pedal would test out flat as a witches on an audio test rig.

I see from the review that there is no battery option? If this is a PITA you can gets a 6 cell AA carrier from Maplin and a PP3 clip lead. Bit of sleeving and a coax power plug and you can battery power the box. AAs last yonks longer than PP3s as well.

Dave.