Self employment - where to start?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited September 2016
    What accounting software do you recommend?

At the moment I do a manual spreadsheet that I pull all Palpal, credit cards, BACs into which takes me a couple of days.
    I use Quicken simply becaue I've been using it since 1993. It works, but badly, I have to run in in a Virtual Machine (Windows XP Mode) to get it to run, but both banks that I've been with (HSBC and Santander) offer .qif as a download option.

If I had to use a current app  I'd probably use QuickBooks, but I do hate renting software, I'd prefer to pay upfront and keep it as long as I want.  And having all your accounts data in the cloud seems completely unnecessary and would worry me a lot. Software companies are getting arrogant and greedy. For a Self_Employed person to have to spend £5 a month for accounting software where previously you would buy the application for £150 or so and it would last you 5 years, is galling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited September 2016
    FYI, I shot my first 5 weddings free of charge.  Although they were for friends and I insisted they hire someone professional if they want guaranteed results at least for the ceremony part.

@RaymondLin ;; and/ or any other photographers.  Who owns the wedding pics?
    A work colleague today said that her wedding was shot by a friend who is just starting out but charged mates's rates.

The photographer asked if he could use some of the pictures on his website, my colleague and her partner said no.  He asked again, my colleague didn't get back to him -- and the next thing is that she sees her pics on his website. 

The photographer has definitely gone against the couple's wishes in using their photographs and is coming out with the line that his business is in Singapore so it won't make any difference to the English couple. 

Just wondered who has the rights to use the photos, or what other factors may be important.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11890
    edited September 2016
    Grunfeld said:
    FYI, I shot my first 5 weddings free of charge.  Although they were for friends and I insisted they hire someone professional if they want guaranteed results at least for the ceremony part.

@RaymondLin ;;;; and/ or any other photographers.  Who owns the wedding pics?
    A work colleague today said that her wedding was shot by a friend who is just starting out but charged mates's rates.

He then asked if he could use some of the pictures on his website, my colleague and her partner said no.  He asked again, my colleague didn't get back to him -- and the next thing is that she sees her pics on his website. 

The photographer has definitely gone against the couple's wishes in using their photographs and is coming out with the line that his business is in Singapore so it won't make any difference to the English couple. 

Just wondered who has the rights to use the photos, or what other factors may be important.

I put it in Black and White in the contract that the photographer (me) remains the copyright holder, and by law, if the moment the shutter is pressed, the person pressing it is the copyright holder.  The right is automatic and does not need to be specified usually, and I tell the couple they have a Licence to print and share the photos in a NON-COMMERCIAL capacity.

That way, they don't need my permission to get them printed, or share with family and friends and I don't need to ask them permission to blog them and use them in promotional material, they also cannot make money from them.

I have had request from couples where they wish I do not blog their images, I am happy to comply to specific requests, but in the end of the day, I own the photos.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited September 2016

I have had request from couples where they wish I do not blog their images, I am happy to comply to specific requests, but in the end of the day, I own the photos.
    Fair enough.  That's clear cut.  I would certainly think that if a couple wanted their images kept private then it's only decent to respect that.  Happy clients and all that are good for business.

I would guess then that one possible course of action now is for the couple to leave honest but negative testimonials on the photographer's site and social media presence.  Shame really.

Cheers.
    edited September 2016
    Grunfeld said:

Fair enough.  That's clear cut.  I would certainly think that if a couple wanted their images kept private then it's only decent to respect that.  Happy clients and all that are good for business.

I would guess then that one possible course of action now is for the couple to leave honest but negative testimonials on the photographer's site and social media presence.  Shame really.

Cheers.
    We did agree for that wedding I can show off about half a dozen which I send them over to them first to get a go ahead so they knew which one I wanted to use, so it was a happy compromised, and yes, at the end of the day, a happy couple is above all else but that is the only instance.  Normally, I tend to blog after they get the whole set, I do post about half a dozen as I am processing them but 95% of the photos they get to see first.

Grunfeld said:

Cheers.
    This is the passage I use.

OWNERSHIP RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

The Photographer will document the events in a candid manner and take formal portrait and group shots as indicated on the wedding checklist as filled out by the clients. The Photographer and the Clients agree that unless stated otherwise in this document, the Photographer owns any and all copy or reproduction rights in all circumstances. The Clients agree that the Photographer may use any photograph/image for publicity & advertising purposes to promote the Photographer, this may include publication on the Photographer’s website. The Client agree not to reproduce or copy any proof or other photographs of the event, taken by the Photographer, without the Photographer’s written permission, save as provided for in this agreement and shall be permitted to share with friends and family for personal use only.

• @RaymondLin I've heard of wedding photographers being asked to provide raw files (lol). I asked someone if it happened to them and they said they agree to provide raw files at a charge of £5000 per image. 

He said he'd even managed to sell one! It went to a mother in law who was angry he wouldn't photoshop a smile on her face (he swore this is gospel truth but it does sound too funny). 
    edited September 2016
    @RaymondLin I've heard of wedding photographers being asked to provide raw files (lol). I asked someone if it happened to them and they said they agree to provide raw files at a charge of £5000 per image. 

He said he'd even managed to sell one! It went to a mother in law who was angry he wouldn't photoshop a smile on her face (he swore this is gospel truth but it does sound too funny). 
    I do not provide RAW files, and if people insists, they could pay for it.  So I take the same tact.  I have only ever done it on 2 occasions, one to my sister's wedding, one to a friend, both whom I did for free.

The average person wouldn't know what to do with a RAW file, they wouldn't have the right software to edit it to its full potential.  My contract specify I provide edited Jpegs only, it even lists pixel size, I keep it lower than my camera res because it allows me room to in the editing process for minor crops/level out the horizon.  

Re Photoshop, I tell them I am happy to remove spots and cuts and things like that, I don't edit it in a way that is "false".  I clean up photos basically, clone out distracting elements and I even have a clause in my contract about people not looking at me during the formals.  I would try my best and I do check before moving on so that everyone is smiling and everyone has their eyes opened but I have this clause JUST IN CASE, it is all about covering your back side.

DISCLAIMER

The Photographer agrees that every effort will be made to provide high quality photographic services. In the unlikely event that a catastrophic mechanical failure should occur to the Photographer’s equipment, theft of equipment or transport and the Photographer is unable to provide the Client with the agreed upon photography services and/or products, the Photographer’s liability shall be limited to a full refund of all monies paid.

The Photographer and Clients agree that the Photographer is not responsible for any damages, emotional or otherwise. The Client agrees that the Photographer may use any photograph for publicity purposes. Such publicity and advertising may include publication on Photographer’s website.

Other persons may take photographs at the wedding and reception, however all “formal” or other shots set up by the Photographer are for the Photographer to photograph exclusively. It is the Client’s responsibility to inform all guests of said policy. This is to ensure the photographs are of a consistently high standard. The Photographer cannot be responsible for unusable shots due to distractions from Client’s guests (e.g. eyes being closed, guests not looking at the camera) and other circumstances beyond the Photographer’s control. 

• @RaymondLin re photoshop it's not the nicest software to use. There is a thing where people reckon photographers are masters of photoshop but I think of it as a photo centric design suite. I only use it when I have to - small touch ups that Lightroom won't do well enough (although it's impressive as how well Lightroom can do minor spot healing and such. 
    I only go into PS for things like liquidfy and for SERIOUS airbrushing which is mostly for fashion, where you need that PERFECT almost unreal skin.  Wedding photos, my style is real life, so removing spots, things like that LR is perfectly adequate for.  I might go into PS for one or two images out of 500.