moving house..

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
Finally found a new place after 2 years of searching. Got a 2 week deadline to move on 01st (oh andbaby no2 is due on 26th sep so that's fun).

Starting to pack and I cannot get over how much junk we have accumulated since our last move 6 years ago.. it's extraordinary. You'd think we never throw anything away.

I hate moving! Brutally filling rubbish backs is quite cathartic though
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good news - we thought we had done a brutal declutter before we moved 18 months ago. But we've got to have another go. There's a spare room and garage of potential throwaways to go through. Or charity shops for the odd decent thing. And my guitars as well!

Thats just us - then there's the kids toys - we regularly purge them as they have so much but hardly play with them. Mainly what other people buy them as we don't spoil them...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    The best way of purging a house of unwanted crud is getting a loft extension done. I was amazed at the sheer amount of things up there that we'd kept for no apparent reason. 
  • I'm moving house soon and going through a similar process. Doesn't help that both myself and Aunty Psychosis have hobbies that require "stuff". I'm slowly getting better at purging though. I've made about £300 in the last few months by ebaying stuff that was just gathering dust! 
  • I used to do removals for a living. 8 years i did it, and people never realise the shite they have collected, until its time to pack it all up into boxes.

have a massive sort out before you pack up. Its a pointless excercise boxing and then unpacking stuff thats not needed. Also could have made your removal quote cheaper!

And keep your removal men dosed up with tea, and tell them you'll sort them a tip after the jobs done, and all will go smoothly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I've moved 7 times in the last 4 years, despite hating it.

you have my sympathies-I really need to buy somewhere and stay there for 5 years.

Im lucky in that I don't buy/horde "stuff" apart from books, but 95% of them are at my parents house in the loft.

Its still a ball ache and there's always more boxes than you expect.

Be ruthless, especially with clothes, bin/charity shop as much as you can.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• DO NOT attempt to move yourself. Pay movers, even if you have to sell your body to fund it. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The only good thing about moving is the pre-move purge. "But your mum bought that for the kids!!" "Bin it." Good luck with it, and the baby!
  • ^ ^ what he said.  :)