Anyone with experience on using a Wood Pellet Stove

We have a Stanley solid fuel boiler stove in the kitchen.  It works fine but it is 'hard work' fueling it, emptying ashes and bringing in fuel from the shed.  We are looking at replacing it with a Wood Pellet Boiler Stove.  Such stoves are expensive and before outlaying a lot of money, we would like to hear of the experiences of people who have such a stove installed. Thank you.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    2 major problems as I see it.

1. I had a look at them about 2 years ago. The cost of the pellets was significantly higher in sacks than it was delivered loose. I was looking at a system for the whole house and therefore the size would have meant regular topping up from sacks and a right pita. However, looking at the loose system, this requires a hopper feeding the boiler with a helical screw. Totally ott and needs another room for the hopper.

2. The modern type of pellet boilers are pretty fugly and won't look great in a kitchen. But they will need some sort of water buffer as a heat sink as part of the system. My system was quoted at £30k not inc building work and not talking any rebates or incentives into account. I went for an oil fired system in the end and super efficient it is too. £6k all up
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • I had a woodgas camping stove that ran on kitty litter wood pellets. Its probably not what you meant though.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• The heat doesn't feel as organic from a real fire with real hardwood burning on it.

You spend thousands of hours in your kitchen a year, so why not spend £40k?

I know to some people heat is heat, but until you've felt real heat you aren't able to join my debate.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    I think you replied to the wrong discussion thread @chrispy108 or else you are stalking me. But thanks for your reply..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited September 2016
    rsvmark said:
    2 major problems as I see it.

1. I had a look at them about 2 years ago. The cost of the pellets was significantly higher in sacks than it was delivered loose. I was looking at a system for the whole house and therefore the size would have meant regular topping up from sacks and a right pita. However, looking at the loose system, this requires a hopper feeding the boiler with a helical screw. Totally ott and needs another room for the hopper.

2. The modern type of pellet boilers are pretty fugly and won't look great in a kitchen. But they will need some sort of water buffer as a heat sink as part of the system. My system was quoted at £30k not inc building work and not talking any rebates or incentives into account. I went for an oil fired system in the end and super efficient it is too. £6k all up
    Golf club converted to wood pellets for heating & hot water - and as (1) above had to use an ISO container in the car park for fuel supply, hopper & bolier - fecking enormous !

and on (2) - Given the price of kerosene right now oil is a good option.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback