GoPro Hero 5 Black

I know that model is not out for a couple of weeks yet, but have any of you got experience of using GoPro cameras and have any thoughts on them? I fancy buying one for making guitar-based video, so no flying down mountains attached to a piece of plastic, but I want 4k and good quality audio, Are there any rivals I should be looking into? 

Thanks in advance :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Spend the same amount of money on a non action camera and you will inevitably get better quality, and for good quality audio you need a mic really, either record separately and put them together in editing software or buy a camera that has an external mic in.

Even if you want to buy an action camera go pro aren't really worth it, most of their money goes into advertising, whereas cheaper chinese brands are still of equal or better quality, but with better specs and at a lower price, and most of them fit the same mounting hardware.

What phone do you have? Any new midrange-flagship phone will have a decent 1080p-4k camera and if you pair that up with an external mic, you are sorted.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Thanks for the input @Mkjackary. I've spent a few hours today talking with people, it would appear a good DSLR with external microphone and more importantly, proper lighting, is going to be the way to go. Still got an old iPhone 5S so it's not really up to spec. 
  • Thanks for the input @Mkjackary. I've spent a few hours today talking with people, it would appear a good DSLR with external microphone and more importantly, proper lighting, is going to be the way to go. Still got an old iPhone 5S so it's not really up to spec. 
    Agree with the lighting, you don't need professional lighting, it is expensive and useless unless you are recording. Go for something that is bright and soft but could just be a room light the rest of the time. Use as much natural light as possible.

Dude, the 5s' video quality is brilliant. For guitar covers/online videos the sound is much more important. Atleast for your first few videos I would just use your iPhone and an sm57.
    IMO you don't want a DSLR unless you will be using it for something other than just recording guitar videos, or you are making money from the videos.

I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Mkjackary said:
    Thanks for the input @Mkjackary. I've spent a few hours today talking with people, it would appear a good DSLR with external microphone and more importantly, proper lighting, is going to be the way to go. Still got an old iPhone 5S so it's not really up to spec. 
    Agree with the lighting, you don't need professional lighting, it is expensive and useless unless you are recording. Go for something that is bright and soft but could just be a room light the rest of the time. Use as much natural light as possible.

Dude, the 5s' video quality is brilliant. For guitar covers/online videos the sound is much more important. Atleast for your first few videos I would just use your iPhone and an sm57.
    IMO you don't want a DSLR unless you will be using it for something other than just recording guitar videos, or you are making money from the videos.

It's going to be used for product pics/demos, lessons and more. I'm going to be doing it for money and don't mind the upfront investment to be honest (I have enough guitar gear!). Natural light is always the preference I know, but I'll be mainly operating in small/medium sized rooms so the lights are going to be an important part. Thanks again for your input man :-)
  • I have a go pro, its fantastic! I wouldnt use it as my main camera but its lots of fun. 
  • Just bought a Canon EOS 70D :-)