iPad dead?

What's Hot
OK, so the pink one was using her iPad 2 and it just went to a black screen.....

It will not turn on normally, I have to hold the power button and sleep button at the same time, then it restarts, did this the then shut it down to do a full restart. Still have to do the power/sleep thing to get anything....it usually then shuts down to a black screen again sometimes after 5mims, somtimes after a few seconds, sometimes the screen goes blue first....

Tried plugging in to iTunes, which told me there was a problem, then tried to repair it, later I tried a full system restore through iTunes to no avail.....

Luckily it backed up to iCloud the day before...

Is it itme for the iBin? Or is it somehow fixable?

I can feel a trip to a local retail park for a replacement coming on.....

Cheers!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Take it to a Genius at Apple first. They can do more diagnostics than you can at home.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It might not be dead. I had a friend who had the same thing (he posts on here sometimes) - he wasn't IT literate and wasn't prepared to look at it. The Apple Genius guys said fried motherboard and sold him a new one. One week later a friend of his had a look and revived it by connecting it to his Mac. If you go online there are loads of tips and tricks. The iPad is a reliable device - I have two and have never had a serious problem other than the hard disc getting full of crud. Some basic housekeeping fixed that.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441

Check for crud in the 30 pin socket, things get in there and can short the serial bus. This is the only thing you can do externally easily

Hard reset it ..........  heat digitizer evenly with hot air gun and gently with a guitar pick work your way along the top, down the right hand side and along the bottom ......... be careful along the bottom that you don't pull off the wireless antenna's as you lift the digitizer. As you work your way along you can put playing cards in the gap to prevent it sealing back down.

The digitizer cable is on the left at the bottom when you view it with the home button on the bottom so once you have released the top, right and bottom heat the left side and gently open it like a book

Once opened remove the 4 screws holding in the LCD, gently lift it out ... cable is same side as digitizer and then you can see the motherboard. Look for the connector coming from battery and mating with board underneath. remove screws there and slide an insulator between the bottom of motherboard and battery connector.  Leave it there, go have a cup of tea then go back, remove it and then try it

If still no good then you really need good known test parts to continue as a duff LCD can confuse the LVDS and produce exactly the same symptoms as a bad board .....so can a duff camera ... a bad battery can too to a lesser extent. Board failure is rare in my experience except where there has been a spill ........ which the customer is generally unaware of as the spill is easily removed externally by the guilty party who did it

All bits are available to buy but if you buy a board you need to be 100% certain it's not iCloud locked
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom