TV without an aerial or satellite dish

What's Hot
We currently have Sky TV but it costs too much. Even if we phone up and haggle it'll still cost more than the value we get from it. All we watch is the old terrestrial channels, really, and perhaps Eurosport for cycling and some of the trashy channels for re-runs of friends or documentaries about car/house restorations.

Thinking that we'll switch to getting all our TV through the internet. I know we can do BBC iPlayer et al, but wondered if there was a way we could make it easier than having to browse to those websites. Are there set-top boxes that aggregate all the online content to one place.....and are legal to use?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12373
    You could get a Now tv box, that gets you access to some of the Sky content for a lot less than a proper sky account. We have the entertainment package at £7 a month: that gives us GoT and Walking Dead plus other stuff,  but they also do sports and movie packages. You can also get BBC iplayer, ITV, C4 replay things through it too. 

If you want completely free then you need an android box or laptop loaded with Kodi. It's legal to download Kodi, the actual content streaming is the illegal bit. Check out the thread posted by Hootsmon on here about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    cancel sky but keep the sky card in the skybox, you should still have access to all the usual Freeview channels using the sky dish, no fee. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I have asked the same question before. Tv with no aerial (or dish).

Freeview is free tv. So why is there not a Freeview website with all the free channels available in high quality?
    And would there be a large market for a "freeview box" that plugs into your tv and then receives all the Freeview channels wirelessly from your router?

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    TV in my living room isn't plugged in to anything, I've just got an amazon fire thingy plugged into the back, more than enough TV for my needs

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    lloyd said:
    TV in my living room isn't plugged in to anything, I've just got an amazon fire thingy plugged into the back, more than enough TV for my needs
    Great innit? :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Some sort of streaming device (Apple TV/Chromecast and apps on your phone/tablet.
    The problem with apps native to the device is that the one service you want won't be available (e.g. Netflix on Apple TV)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A youview box does a great job of combining freeview, iPlayer, itv, 4od, five, Netflix and now Tv onto one box. You can search across them all at once, and go backwards through the tv guide and stream. Tis good.
  • Saintsbury's were doing the Now Smart box with 5 months entertainment pass for £35. So Freeview, Sky ( on the pass) iPlayer, etc, etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    jd0272 said:
    lloyd said:
    Great innit? :)
    Aye, 2 months now without watching any "tv" minimal ads to get through and none of the shite that ends up in the background, just watching stuff that is interesting to me.

Im listening to more music too, which is good because I've gone right off it recently, which is shit.

Still haven't touched the guitar since the band split though.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Freeview + KODI + iPlayer
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    http://www.tvcatchup.com/ has live streams of quite a few channels. And there's an app on my Amazon stick I can't remember the name of which allows you to do the same, with an optional fee to access more premium channels.
    My V key is broken