Using different quitars

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 963
How do you guys cope with different quitars using stomp boxes?

I'm using a marshall jmp1 as a preamp which I love for the versatility but there are a couple of reasons why pedals would be more versatile. 

The problem I'm facing is I now only have 2 guitars, a 335 and a tele. The 335 is my main axe at gigs and the tele is a backup. 
If I were using stomp boxes and broke a string I bring out the tele but all of the drives are set up wrong. Suddenly my ac/dc ish crunch sound is now only mildly overdriven. 

I reckon I'd probably need 3 drives to replace the marshall. Is there a simple way that I'm missing to address this or is it really having to adjust all of the drives to suit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EQ pedal, maybe?

Surely there's an element of re-configuring with the JMP1 with different guitars? Unless you've set up a different patch for the Tele?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
    I use a JMP1 with Tel, Superstrat, LP etc.... just mirror the patches to another location and then go to that location and increase gain and press store twice. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • The easiest way is to put a pedal before your JMP that boosts the level from the Tele to the same output as your 335. You can do it with an EQ pedal or some form of clean boost like an Xotic EP booster. The EQ pedal is probably the more flexible option as you would even be able to tweak the frequencies to get the Tele to sound as much like the 335 as possible (e.g. less treble, more mids & bass, higher output).
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I think if it were me, I would integrate a pedal specifically for that situation so you could have that amount of crunch when using the Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, stick a clean boost at the start of the chain, so that when you have the Tele, you step on it and drive everything a little harder.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
     We are talking about the JMP one midi programmable pre amp? If so then you simply have different patches with different amounts of treble  different amounts of bass different amount of gain  et cetera to compensate for the guitar
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Sorry I don't think I was very clear with my question.

I do use different patches in the jmp1 currently and it works very well.

I'm considering going back to stomp boxes so the question really how do I handle guitars with individual pedals. 

Sorry for the red herring about the jmp. Too much background in do I guess.
  • I have a TC mini Spark boost early on in my signal chain to allow me to boost lower output guitars. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    dogload said:
    I think if it were me, I would integrate a pedal specifically for that situation so you could have that amount of crunch when using the Tele.
    Backup od to go with the backup guitar.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4612
    You could set it up first using the Tele then adjust the output on the 335 accordingly
  • An EP boost would fatten up the Tele nicely