New laptop, don't like the built in mouse pad thingy

What's Hot
So I got a USB mouse. Am I the only laptop user who cannot get on with the pad thing? Laptop running Windows 7, the free upgrade to 10 has closed. Laptop will be used in my stereo system. Probably running Daphile. No fixed ideas on that at the present time...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Does it have bluetooth capability? I have a decent gaming mouse attached to my laptop when it's on my desk that's covered in buttons I use for media and browsing shortcuts (Roccat Tyon) but I keep a tiny little bluetooth mouse and a neoprene mousemat in my rucksack for when I'm out and about. 
    I can use trackpads, but my Chromebook spoilt me. Browsing the internet was so good with that one, all the windows ones feel clunky. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Windows 10 is still available to you if you use any of a wide range of assistive technologies (or are willing to pretend that you do during the 2 seconds it takes to click the upgrade button).

Details here:
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

Upgrade here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=%2814c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123%29%28256380%29%282459594%29%28TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA%29%28%29

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    @Hertz32 - just out of interest, what Chromebook are you using?
    edited September 2016
    It's an "old" samsung Series 5 550
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/samsung-chromebook-550-970705/review/2

"old" insofar as it's not produced anymore, but they're all very similar and all run the latest ChromeOS anyway. 
    It was all the gestures that I got to really like, three finger swipes left or right changed tab and the sensitivity of the mouse changed dynamically based upon how fast your finger was moving, just meant that you could manipulate the cursor in a really fluid way once you learnt all the gestures. 

Since that I've moved onto a new Lenovo Yoga 700 that I love and sits on my desk while the chromebook sits under it! But I wouldn't necessarily miss all that much if I went back to the Cbook.
    'Awibble'
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Ah, cheers, I'm thinking of replacing my notebook with one.

Sorry @Rocker - didn't mean to hijack your thread!

However, like you I disliked the pad, but I've learned to live with it...
  • I've been using my son's old Samsung chromebook and getting used to the tracker pad took a while but it's fine now. Just takes practice but I could hardly do a thing on it to start with.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Trackpads are shite @Rocker, so I'm with you there. USB mouse all the way if I'm forced to use a laptop.

Although I prefer to not use a mouse at all if I can get away with it, keyboard shortcuts FTW ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Trackpads are shite @Rocker, so I'm with you there. USB mouse all the way if I'm forced to use a laptop.

Although I prefer to not use a mouse at all if I can get away with it, keyboard shortcuts FTW ;)
    I suppose you need the right hand free, given your search history ;)
    'Awibble'
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trackpads are not accurate.
    Windows 7 is not trackpad friendly.
    If it's an older laptop the trackpad may not be high resolution complient.
    Saying that I use a combination of mouse and a Logitech trackpad.
    Gestures really help workflow especially things like scrolling in Photoshop/minimising/multiple desktop switching.
    The mouse for accurate work
  • Hertz32 said:
    Trackpads are shite @Rocker, so I'm with you there. USB mouse all the way if I'm forced to use a laptop.

I suppose you need the right hand free, given your search history ;)
    You know it fly-boy ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I like gestures, but I've only had one laptop that did it right. 

The apple magic mouse is suppose to be nice, but maybe only works with Apple kit? 

I use a USB mouse. I would rather a good track pad though. 
  • Good trackpads are great but they're rare on PC laptops. 

I use a Logitech M705 mouse for work and that's great. You can run it on either 1 or 2 AA batteries depending on heavy you like your mouse, and the battery lasts about 3 years apparently. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Hate trackpads. Tbh though I struggle with anything that's not my corsair m30. 
  • Hate them. The one on my Mac is the best I've had but it's still shit.

I use a thumb trackball.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I hate the pad things, hurt my wrist with the angle you have to bend your hand.

I've got a USB mouse that cost about a 5er. I don't game or anything and it's absolutely fine for what I use it for, the laptop never leaves the house.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The original IBM ThinkPads had a decent solution with the little red joystick thingy .. :-) Best laptop I ever had ... it cost about £6K though and ran Windows NT.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    lloyd said:

I've got a USB mouse that cost about a 5er. I don't game or anything and it's absolutely fine for what I use it for, the laptop never leaves the house.
    If it never leaves the house why not get a desktop.  I have a 27" screen, a decent keyboard, a decent mouse and a pair of studio monitors for sound instead of crappy laptop speakers.  Desktop CPUs are faster than laptop CPUs as well.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    crunchman said:
    lloyd said:

If it never leaves the house why not get a desktop.  I have a 27" screen, a decent keyboard, a decent mouse and a pair of studio monitors for sound instead of crappy laptop speakers.  Desktop CPUs are faster than laptop CPUs as well.
    I lived in a flat at the time of purchase, but as it is now it moves about the house now-living room, spare room, bedroom etc, which is handy.

I basically watch some tv on it and do paperwork and that's it.

Everything else is done on the iPad, but TV in bed (I don't have a TV in the bedroom) is good, as is doing some typing while chilling on the couch or toilet.

The performance of the CPU (whatever that is) is fine and the speakers are good enough for watching the odd TV show.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Fretwired said:
    The original IBM ThinkPads had a decent solution with the little red joystick thingy ..
    "The nipple", as it's known in this office. Hateful, spiteful, horrible invention.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    edited September 2016
    @Lloyd the CPU is the central processing unit - it's kind of the engine of the computer.

I can understand the need for something portable but I use a tablet for that - or occasionally use my wife's laptop.  If that's what you need then fine but I'd always want a desktop for my main computer.  The original post on this thread was essentially about the lack of usability/ergonomics of laptops.  One solution is to get a desktop with a decent keyboard and mouse.

It does depend on your usage as a well.  If it's occasional a laptop makes sense, but for heavy usage it's not good.  If you are using it a lot, being hunched over a laptop is a dreadful posture and will cause problems for your back/neck/shoulders.  I'll quite often sit at the computer for 2 or 3 hours in the evening - for that I really want a desktop.  The improved performance of a desktop over a laptop also helps.  I'd have had to spend at least £200 more on a laptop to get something that even comes vaguely close to my desktop in performance. I've upgraded some bits but for a lot of things my older (nearly 8 years old) desktop that my kids use is still faster than my wife's one year old laptop for a lot of things.