Roland RE-201 Space echo delay

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'd take the whole set up gladly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I loved my 201 on guitar, but it was on synths that it really came into it's own.
     You could almost think of it as an instrument in itself.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • You can buy a top quality 201/501 from analogia.pl for abotu 7-800€, the guy is a wizard at servicing the old units, i had one ofhis units for about a year and it was in really like new condition. I sold it once i got the tape delay thing out of my system :)

If you are going to pay upwards of 500€ for one then it has got to be in great condition and recently serviced, checked tape heads, new tape, working spring reverb etc...
  • i have a 301, awesome machine its bloody lovely.
    for a 201 £500 is cheap, expect to pay more than that for a good condition 1 thats fully serviced. the 1's sound gas have in stock are always fully serviced by a qualified tech, thats why theirs are a bit more. u gotta be a bit lucky to find 1 that isnt in need of a service. i was quite lucky with mine as all it needed was a clean of the heads and a new tape and it was good as new. (get replacement tapes from soundgas, £18 for 3 and they are the right type).
    the roland space echos, once serviced and set up right are some of the most maintenance free, versatile, great sounding tape echos u can get.

the hiwatt tape echo i also have and that 2 is a great unit!
    hiwatt commissioned a manufacturer in japan (vocu i think it was, they also make this 1 under their own brand: http://www.vocu.jp/products/VTE1600/vte1600.htm) to make this unit along with their range of fx inc a theremin, which were then shipped to the states by fernandez.

the old 70's hiwatt amps are what u want, the new stuff (as its owned by the harrisons) is shit in comparison.
    i have a few old hiwatts, bloody lovely! i also have a modern studio/stage mk2 combo, its a nice amp and has some great up rated fane blue alnico speakers in it, but its not the same as the originals in how its made.
    if u want a hiwatt 70's replica look no further than hitone in the states, they ship worldwide and are great amps.

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    This video certainly makes me want one... 

Great tones, but I must admit that that is one of my least favourite versions of Says

It just seems to be a bit lacking in emotion - I reckon that's due to him using the Rhodes instead of a proper grand
    Stop crying, start buying
  • @moss see, I love it, but they may be quite a bit to do with gear envy 
  • Decided not to go for it. Too much money I think. Mostly put off by the maitainance cost here in ch.
  • I guy local to me was selling a 201 along with the Boss guitar pedal version on behalf of his dad. I was interested in the pedal at the time and made an offer which was accepted but he eventually backed out of the sale as he said his dad had started playing around with the pedal and said that he sounded almost the same as the real thing so he wanted to keep it.

I've never heard a real one used on guitar but I do have the pedal now and it sounds awesome, plus you get tot worry less about the maintenance.
  • heres 1 on the bay at the mo if any1 wants 1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152257096702?ul_noapp=true

when i had an re20 here on a board i was fitting, i compared it to my 301 and found it to be similar but not the same, the 301 had a much better sound to it much more spacier and nicer sounding. but if u cant be arsed with the maintenance (which aint much tbh as these are very well built machines) then the re20 is a pretty good pedal.

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk