Barefoot running, anyone?

What's Hot
ok, not quite bare, but Five Fingers etc.

ive got my VFF, slightly too big and I've figured out I need the smaller width women's versions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/7618A76A-14A7-40BA-B06A-2DE4BBE325B9_zpsrujm74jo.jpg

I have a a pair of Classics too which I have run in and was quite taken with them so eager to try these. Need to get back on the C25k as I've been a bit lax.

I  have some K-Swiss Kwicky Blade Lite and Keahou II and I've not noticed a big difference on grass with them over the VFF so again, interested to see what the road is like.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33810
    I looked at it, but the logic didn't stack up.
    My opinion is barefoot running is based on a logical fallacy- essentially 'an appeal to tradition', which allowed companies such as Vibram to charge a premium for an unexploited gap in the market.

A brief google of 'barefoot running skeptic' should give you quite a bit of reading.

This is just my opinion, based on the reading I did- if it works for you then great.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I have 3 pairs of Fivefingers. Hands down the comfiest footwear I've ever worn. Take a while to adapt to and your toes ache the first few times you wear them, but after that they're great. Just wish they were quicker to put on.

Oh and prepare for all the comments and looks from total strangers and friends alike ...
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    @octatonic  yup I think for road running it's at least unproven but they were ace on grass. I have an open mind. I've been wearing them around the house and I like the feel. I've only done one road run in my Kwicky Blade so will be interesting to see the difference. I appear to have a mid-foot or slightly forefoot strike so don't need masses of cushioning.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    @4114Effects  my wife won't be seen out with me if I wear them...
    tFB Trader
    Niallmo said:
    Join the club!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Niallmo said:
    Join the club!
    A handy tip for those that wish to avoid trips to the in-Laws or weekend shopping.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

tFB Trader
    lloyd said:
    Niallmo said:
    Join the club!
    A handy tip for those that wish to avoid trips to the in-Laws or weekend shopping.
    "Are you coming to help me do the shopping"
    "Of course, dear. Just let me put on my Vibrams"
    "Nevermind."

Genius. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28525
    I find them deeply disturbing to look at.

Fortunately I don't spend a lot of time looking at people's feet.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I have xeroshoes running sandals. To me it's logical - I let the natural springs in my body take the strain. That foot arch which shoe-makers seem to think you need support for, it should be stronger, it helps to absorb impact. Same goes for the legs, don't lock them out. They should stay bent and hey presto absorb energy. It feels more efficient, from a shoe viewpoint it obviously is unless there is foam I don't know of which can give you back all the energy it absorbs.

I also agree that it's a niche market which has been exploited to the full, just like regular running shoes. It can be done on a budget, but that entails making knots in the straps which wear out every month or so and need re-doing. Xeroshoes are around £40 per pair and the soles are guaranteed for 5000 miles, that's just about the best VFM I've found.

Done properly, I really don't see an alternative to minimal running - you'll only get injured if you don't do it properly, just like anything. I won't get any PBs now, as my PBs were done in shoes with a bit of protection. If I had started in sandals from the off, I reckon I'd be just as fast.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Sporky said:
    I find them deeply disturbing to look at.

Fortunately I don't spend a lot of time looking at people's feet.

Lies! ;) 
  • I made the transition to barefoot/minimalist running about 4 years ago after a succession of knee and shin injuries & really like it. My physio suggested I run on grass barefoot to perfect my form (I used to have a horrid heel strike). 

When I got my first pair of Vibrams I was cocky & thought all the warnings about "take it easy" were for unfit people- I'd done my rehab barefoot & felt fine after all... I ran 6k on my first go… and couldn't walk for 3 days afterwards- I blew both calves as I'd never run more than the length of a rugby pitch like that before! Lesson learned I eased into it properly and now regularly do 13+miles with no ill effects. 

I do my longer & road runs in VFFs but if I'm doing trails or grassy stuff I like to go completely barefoot where possible. My times are quicker in the VFFs as I can run over everything. Barefoot I have to slow down and be a bit more careful of stones etc. 

I think the shoes are a bit of a gimmick to be honest, and that proper running form is more important than what you're wearing. Had I learned to run properly and then gone back to "normal" trainers I suspect I would have been fine IF I'd maintained correct form. 
    VFFs and XeroShoes are amazingly comfortable though.

• I think the shoes are a bit of a gimmick to be honest, and that proper running form is more important than what you're wearing. Had I learned to run properly and then gone back to "normal" trainers I suspect I would have been fine IF I'd maintained correct form. 
    VFFs and XeroShoes are amazingly comfortable though.
    True, but it's easier to achieve proper running form with zero drop shoes at least. Actually I got on well with F-lite 230 shoes, which have about a 6mm drop. In NB 767s I was landing flat footed, which makes sense as I guess they have a 10-15mm drop.
  • octatonic said:
    I looked at it, but the logic didn't stack up.
    My opinion is barefoot running is based on a logical fallacy- essentially 'an appeal to tradition', which allowed companies such as Vibram to charge a premium for an unexploited gap in the market.

A brief google of 'barefoot running skeptic' should give you quite a bit of reading.

This is just my opinion, based on the reading I did- if it works for you then great.
    It's always interesting to read various viewpoints. I think the problem is that it's quite difficult for some people to exhibit good running mechanics in shoes which lift the foot off the floor and shorten the achilles. I would probably run minimally in racing trainers if I could find some for £30 in my size and with room for my corn. :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom