Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Painful riffs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The riff at the end of Megadeths Hangar 18.  It's not a hard riff to play a few times but it goes on for quite a while and gets progressively faster.  by the end of playing that song my left hand killllls.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • also i find the riff to rebel rebel painful, its dead easy but it just so repetative all the way through and seems to go on forever, invariable i miss a few out and just play the chorsd instead of picking
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    The Mr Brightside torture G is about the biggest stretch I do ..... MIAB is a piece of piss in comparison. Opening riff to Under the bridge is a little stretched as well. 
    Playing some Quo songs gets a bit achy for me ..... it's not the stretching it's the constant position ........................I sure if you shook those guys hands you would notice they are permanently in that position :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    We've tried to cover 'message in a bottle', but even rolling it as opposed to fretting the whole shape I can't get through the song comfortably....so we rejected that. Similar shape on 'Every Breath...' which we've had as a requests for a birthday gig in a couple of months...eek!
    Yup, both songs have a wide stretch, especially EBYT if you play it the correct (i.e. Andy Summers) way and key.  It took me a while (years back) to train my hand to play these properly and its harder if, like me, you don't have big hands.  But it's just perseverance and practice.  I think it probably helped that when I started learning to play I trained my pinkie very early on.  These stretches are also just that wee bit harder on a longer scale length guitar like a Fender Strat rather than a shorter scale Gibson. I realise the difference is only slight but on long stretches nearer the nut it's noticeable. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)

• need an extra knuckle for some of the parts  :o 
  • Every Breath... is a killer on an acoustic all the way through.
  • octatonic said:
    The interlude at 2:35 here:

Totally awesome. 
    That'd be tough for one of your "song a day" ones... :D
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Voxman said:
    We've tried to cover 'message in a bottle', but even rolling it as opposed to fretting the whole shape I can't get through the song comfortably....so we rejected that. Similar shape on 'Every Breath...' which we've had as a requests for a birthday gig in a couple of months...eek!
    Yup, both songs have a wide stretch, especially EBYT if you play it the correct (i.e. Andy Summers) way and key.  It took me a while (years back) to train my hand to play these properly and its harder if, like me, you don't have big hands.  But it's just perseverance and practice.  I think it probably helped that when I started learning to play I trained my pinkie very early on.  These stretches are also just that wee bit harder on a longer scale length guitar like a Fender Strat rather than a shorter scale Gibson. I realise the difference is only slight but on long stretches nearer the nut it's noticeable. 
    Annoyingly Andy Summers has tiny hands, but like he says on his tuition video "incredibly strong fingers".
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonic said:
    The interlude at 2:35 here:

God I love Yngwie!
    Tough physical parts? None more tougher ......  

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • That's though, too!
    I do find the Yngwie picking licks very tough - he's got such clarity. I still think he's one of, if not THE, most natural pickers.