Cannabis Rex Speaker Issue - damaged?

jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 762
edited September 2016 in Amps
Ok guys I need some help identifying a problem with my speaker. It's an Emi Cannabis Rex and the amp is an MJW V6 with a 15 watt output (it was a conversion from another amp reusing the same trannies hence lower output than normal). It's still plenty loud for gigging, especially with the C.Rex. 

Except I think there's an issue with the speaker. I thought it might be a bad valve to start with but having changed the preamp tubes and doing some testing I'm pretty sure it's the speaker. I might be the culprit too - our bassist took a sabbatical and I exposed the amp to my Bass VI at gigging volume, though I avoided using the low E or lots of distortion. I think that might be the cause but what then would be the specific damage done?? I had hoped since it was well within the wattage limit of the speaker it would be fine but I guess maybe not...

Here's some symptoms:
- Lower (but not low) output. Still loud and giggable, in fact I've gigged it since then. 
- Fizzy overdrive when it's amp overdrive. The top end is horrid!! Not nearly as big an issue with pedals but I have to keep the amps gain controls lowish. 
- Loss of dynamics, almost like it's being limited. A crappy Ashton 2x12 at our practice space was like night and day.

So what's the issue?? Cone? Voice coil? Nothing??? All help much appreciated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    If the same amp was a lot louder, more dynamic and less fizzy through a different speaker/cab, then the speaker is buggered.

You've most likely overheated the voice coil so it's distorted slightly and is now rubbing in the magnet gap.

Eminence power ratings are quite optimistic, so although it's rated at 50W that means that an overdriven 15W amp with oversized transformers and with bass going through it - even only as low as a low A - you could have done it… that's potentially up to about 30W and with more cone excursion than it was really designed for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom