Newbie to forum and recording

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited October 2016
    With an audio interface you could just record guitar by plugging it straight into the interface, so bleed from the backing track wouldn't be a problem.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    I've never, in my 9 years of using Reaper, needed to use a separate editor. Where did you see that comment about also needing to use Audacity as an editor?

Thanks.  Sorry for the long gap again.  It was what Nick said in his video about recording guitar as recommend to watch further up the thread.
  • barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    Hi folks.  Still not got around to getting an interface yet.  Been busy with other stuff.

I have however found this https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-u-phoria-um2/90096?gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSMtHPrEAMMBuV-gxjx8Kaqa9tW6gDdLB4pi_TVByR_RoC4xvw_wcB

Cheap as chips but will it do the job?  Ive got some half decent speakers on my PC now so what (I Think) I need to do is get one of these, plug the guitar in one end and the USB into the PC then record through Audacity with the backing track and what I am recording (The guitar) coming out of the monitor speakers as I record.

Does this sound right?

I know its a budget job but the reviews are quite good.

Thanks

• Barry, there are many excellent starter audio interfaces out there that are fantastic value and will be much better than most of us will ever be.  Stop prevaricating, buy one and get started. Today!  ;)
  • Barry,

The Behringer interface may be fine, but the couple of times I've tried dirt cheap behringer stuff it has suffered with excessive noise. Sometimes their stuff is good, sometimes it is complete pony.

If you're on the lookout for a mic too then Presonus and Focusrite offer reasonably priced starter kits such as:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/Presonus-iTwo-Studio-Audio-Interface/77782

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/Focusrite-Scarlett-Solo-Studio-(2nd-Gen)/77674

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-Studio-pack-(2nd-Gen)/77600

All these come with interface, mic, monitoring headphones, DAW and cables, everything you need to get started. Ditch that PA!

• PE-R80PE-R80 Frets: 0
    edited May 2019
    Exactly. You can get the whole kaboodle for not a lot. For amateur use any of the above mentioned 2x2 interfaces will do. What I would pay a bit of attention to is the DAW that comes with the one you choose. I have the Presonus Audiobox USB, which came with Studio One V3 Artist. Studio One is very well thought of and, athough you can install any third party extras, it comes with loads of great stuff built in and you can always upgrade later. Another thing, headphones. You need comfort for long sessions. AKG 240s are good for that. *** Sorry, I meant to say you CAN'T add third party extras. But, as I say, there are plenty of goodies already bundled with Studio One.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited May 2019
    barryd said:
    Thank again.  Still away so not online all the time.  I watched the first two JustNick videos so I kind of get how it works now

He mentioned Audacity as not being the best of software and also mentioned Reaper but when I looked at a Reaper demo they recommended Audacity to work alongside it as an editor.  So is that because the Reaper software will record better but Audacity has more editing features?  Is there a better tool than Audacity in general that does everything?

Nick was also recording guitar using a mic draped over his amp.  Sometimes I record alongside a backing track.  What is the best way to do this?  I would import the backing track into Audacity then use the line out of the PA into the PC to record the guitar track into Audacity with the backing track playback coming out of the PC speaker system.  Is using a mic better or could I plug the line out of the PA into the input of the interface or indeed the guitar straight into the interface?  With a Mic I am going to get sound recorded in the background from the backing track output.

Sorry if these are really numpty questions.  I know nothing! . 
    You don't need Audacity to record on Reaper.  All you need is Reaper itself and a usb interface (see earlier posts for suggestions - I use the UR22 which is cheap-ish, rugged and reliable).

I have no idea what the experts would say about the best technique for recording over a backing track but what I do is load the backing track into Reaper then play it out whilst recording the other parts.  Then you get no bleed from one into the other.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher