I've set myself a challenge.........

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8540
edited September 2016 in FX
.........I'm going to get some good sounds out of this thing:
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/image_zpsusdxpg4t.jpeg

Its not going to be easy, the presets are as expected, the amp modelling is COSM fair (albeit supposedly the "flagship" stuff of the GT100) and no option for proper IR's, but there are some sounds to be had I'm sure.

I needed something cheap for headphone practice when wife and baby have gone to bed as this is unfortunately the only time I'm getting to play at the moment and for this the form factor is perfect, I keep it in the cabinet under the TV, and power it from a Mac mini USB socket. 

I'd love to try a Helix or an AX8 in anger to see how the digital game has moved on as I just can't believe it would still convince me. This machine makes my Custom Shop Strat feel like a games controller!

Still, I like a challenge, and the Jazz Chorus model is pretty damn good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Isn't COSM just another name for digital sound processing, albeit Boss' proprietary name for it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    I look forward to hearing the results and reports D.
  • Bearing in mind guys like Nuno and Hoss from Karnivool use the GT-8 live I'm sure you can, just start building all your tones from scratch. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    Good luck.

I couldn't get the COSM modelling to sound good on the GT-100 I had. The FX are great though.
    In terms of amp tones Blackstar, or Zoom are better at the low end and if you've got a few quid more then the Amplifire is a huge jump in quality.

I think the GT-001 is pretty much identical to the GT-100, but it only has one screen which makes it a bit more fiddly to program. Hopefully it has the V2 firmware which includes the MO-2, Tera Echo and DA-2 all of which are great.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Good luck.

I couldn't get the COSM modelling to sound good on the GT-100 I had. The FX are great though.
    In terms of amp tones Blackstar, or Zoom are better at the low end and if you've got a few quid more then the Amplifire is a huge jump in quality.

I think the GT-001 is pretty much identical to the GT-100, but it only has one screen which makes it a bit more fiddly to program. Hopefully it has the V2 firmware which includes the MO-2, Tera Echo and DA-2 all of which are great.
    I looked at the amplifire but just couldn't justify it for a bit of late night noodlin'.

Think I'm just down on digital generally, I trialled Sgear on my Mac as everyone raves about it but still couldn't get much I liked out of it. 

The Boss will be fun though, it's best at the big overblown super-processed stuff. Think I'm going to recreate the 80's.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    I'm surprised by that. 

I've actually never had a sound from a recording session with real amps I've liked as much as I can get from S-Gear.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I just picked up an FX8 and going to have the same challenge - determined to get a multi fx work for me :expressionless: 
    Never been keen on amp modelling more from a technical point of view than a sound one and I do like a real amp to fall back on if anything goes wrong!
    On paper the FX8 does everything I need - starting by replicating my existing simple pedal board and going from there
    Got a free night to get it all set up for rehearsal then ready to gig it...
    Good luck with your quest too :)
  • I have a GT-001 and I think it's pretty good.  There are some decent patches to start you off here http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=GT100v2

The Frankly Sweeping patch sounds good on it's own I reckon.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited September 2016
    I use a GT 6 as a part of my gigging pedalboard but I use separate OD Pedals in the FX loop. I've also got an ME80 which supposedly was based on GT100 sounds. But, with both units, the built in distortions and amps are unusable for me. The other effects are good in the GT6. I didn't get on with the other sounds in the ME80, so I can't believe it's really on a level with a GT100, unless things took a backwards step.

Although Nuno used a GT8, I'd be very surprised if he used the built in distortions and amp emulations. 

I'm guessing the GT001 will give you good sounds apart from the ODs and amp emulations.

Which leads me to think that Roland/Boss can't do distortions and amp emulations in their Multi FX, that are to my taste. That said, I love the sound of my Blues Cube Artist, and some of their OD pedals are good, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

S-Gear 2 is my go to ampsim for recording. I'm surprised you didn't get on with it.
    It's not a competition.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Sgear was fine, and better than most I've tried, I guess I just had super high expectations from what I had read, but in reality it still felt like I was playing through a computer.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    I had a VG-88 which was the previous generation of COSM, and managed to get perfectly usable sounds out of it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."