Refinishing a neck with Wudtone - what prep required?

I'm looking to refinish an already finished neck with Wudtone tint... the Instructions only cover how to prepare a bare neck. How would I go about preparing one that was already finished?

Cheers
BabyFrank
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    depends what the original finish is, though I suspect that Wudtone will need a clean slate so to speak,  you could always ask Wudtone themselves? 
  • In my experience, you'll need all finish off there if staining as that only works properly on bare wood.
  • As above, it needs to be completely bare - that's a lot of sanding, as most necks are dipped in a penetrating substance to help protect it. 

Wudtone simply won't take unless the wood is completely bare. 
  • For what it's worth... I sanded back the neck using 240 Grit then 400 Grit, then steel wool... this got rid of the old finish, but I'd be surprised if it would have got rid of any sanding sealer or grain filler that might have been present.  Regardless... 2 coats of Wudtone Vintage Amber base coat, 2 of the clear sealer, (rubbing down with steel wool between coats) and it's looking very nice, almost ready to reassemble.