extending wires on a pickup

hi all,

i was wiring in a new set of used pickups when the wires have come up short. whats the best way of extending them. what wire should i use?  also, the bare ground wire is short too. what can be used to extend it?

thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10507
    Any shielded wire is fine as the length is too short for stray capacitance to be an issue .... even hacking a length from an old Hi Fi phono cable will do the job. 
    Any type of wire can be used to lengthen the earth, it doesn't need to be un - insulated or single core
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thanks,

can you recommend a good place to get the above wires from. couldn't find any on ebay
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    Cut up an old Scart cable, AV cable or something - any kind of thin flexible wire will do really, it doesn't even need to be shielded if it's only a short extension. If you don't have anything, your nearest charity shop will probably have something cheap you can use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10997
    tFB Trader
    The first couple of humbuckers I ever made used old mouse cable for four conductor output wire ... worked fine :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message