TUEs - legalised drug taking in Sport?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Anyone who thinks that loopholes aren't being cynically exploited by a shitload of athletes is pretty naive.

Sharapova was taking an outdated drug for a number of health concerns *(for 10 years mind) off some dodgy family Dr it was then taken off the OK list and she was banned. 

Now call me cynical but there's fucking no way I believe she needed to take that drug for any major reason other than she knew it was enhancing her tennis career, yeah she did nothing wrong until it was banned but it leaves a question mark over her whole career IMO.

There must be hundreds of similar incidents. As said above these things are needed and allow people to compete that otherwise couldn't but they're easily exploited.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I feel reasonably OK about them but ....... and it's a big but ..... I think that there should be 100% transparency for all sports people over what they are taking, and I think that others should possibly be allowed to ask for independent verification as to why someone takes something. 

whilst all this info is hidden away there's no chance of it not being abused. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

lloyd said:
    Anyone who thinks that loopholes aren't being cynically exploited by a shitload of athletes is pretty naive.

This is proven by the disproportionately high number of tennis players who were all taking that same drug. Most weren't as dumb as her and came off of it, but they can't all have had the same problem.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    axisus said:
    I feel reasonably OK about them but ....... and it's a big but ..... I think that there should be 100% transparency for all sports people over what they are taking, and I think that others should possibly be allowed to ask for independent verification as to why someone takes something. 

whilst all this info is hidden away there's no chance of it not being abused. 
    This is a great idea, but if they're all at it there could be a lot of horse trading going on behind closed doors.

Some kind of independent body of Dr's needs to be set up though that actively looks into athletes and what they're taking, and go over the heads of the athlete's "family Dr".

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• axisus said:

lloyd said:

This is proven by the disproportionately high number of tennis players who were all taking that same drug. Most weren't as dumb as her and came off of it, but they can't all have had the same problem.
    Agreed.  We're often told we're living through the greatest age of mens' tennis ever, with the top 4 players being among the greatest of all time.  But at the very least there have been very, very strong whispers about Nadal and Djokovic.  If they are false, fine.  But it they are true - and I know where I'd put my money - then the person who will have suffered most is Andy Murray, who arguably would have won many more majors in a clean game.  (Federer will also have suffered but he had racked up many majors before the other guys made an impact at the top of the game).  It's no wonder Murray is evangelical on the subject of tightening up the control of drugs the sport, and has regularly complained that avoiding tests is too easy.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Its like the mass carried by rugby players! Diet and High Protein - bollocks! Steroid use was rife in Welsh Rugby 30 years ago amongst amateur friends - Its the 'Allan Wells' bulking up nonsense. Nowadays its not steroids but Insulin, GH, IGFs.  As soon as money is involved the incentive to manipulate is there.

Athletes will always be able to find dodgy doctors like Ferrari in cycling who are one step ahead of the testers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I must admit, I don't know where I stand on this. 

I mean, having a puff for asthma is one thing, but steroid injections? Does that mean regular asthma attacks being staved off? If so, does it still instil an unfair advantage? 

There needs to be real research - or a crack down on the rules - with no regards to people's feelings or money. I don't think that'll happen so research it is... 
    I have asthma- it is quite bad- I'v been hospitalised several times in the past.
    I've never had to have steroid injections though- the inhaler works quite well.

I reckon it is mostly a dodge around the rules.

I don't, but my big brother suffers awful despite being a proper fitness freak - he's only had a steroid injection once, in an ambulance.