The Ryder Cup Thread

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30927
I cannot wait for this; one of the few times we play the USA at something global sportingwise.

Hazeltine is a very up and down course and will suit accuracy, which in turn suits Europe.

I absolutely love the format and will watch a lot of it.

And, any Brexiteers (yes you @Chalky ;) ) who dare support Europe will be rinsed with pee taking...

In other news, saw this:

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I've never been keen on the Ryder cup. To me it represents the worst kind of tribal, chest-beating sport, and has at times it has had thoroughly unsporting crowds. Couple with that the fact that I'm never that mad on 'two-horse race' sports. 

but I will keep half an eye on the results as they come in. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Highlight of the sporting calender for me.

This one will be close, I think. Unfortunately I think the USA! USA! USA! GET IN THE HOLE! MASHED POTATO! tossers will win. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    axisus said:
    I've never been keen on the Ryder cup. To me it represents the worst kind of tribal, chest-beating sport, and has at times it has had thoroughly unsporting crowds. Couple with that the fact that I'm never that mad on 'two-horse race' sports. 

but I will keep half an eye on the results as they come in. 
    More than football? I think sport at any level is a tribal chest beating affair, it's kinda the whole point no?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• I feel for Danny Willet. 

However his brother's words were intended to be taken, the average knuckle dragging US golf fan will doubtless be looking to sledge him. 

This could be as bad as the War on the Shore, the dark days of Corey 'Crazy' Pavin et al.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:
    It's a brilliant example of how sport should be.......but my god I hate that Yank swagger. The cheering is fine, but the whooping and strutting is just mad. Mind you, he did just win $100 off a pro golfer in front of a crowd. I can probably excuse it.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    True Ryder cup story.

Several years ago I was working at Dublin airport and we were helping to build several new piers on the existing terminal and a new Terminal 2. My opposite number ran (the existing) Terminal 1.

This was the year that the Ryder Cup was held at at the K club- 2006 iirc. The VIP team reported in to my opposite number and they had hired in a fleet of black BMW limos to collect the US team and ferry them over to the VIP suite.

well it was a lovely Dublin summers day, and you guessed it, it was fecking horizontal rain and absolutely slashing down. The USA charter plane came to a halt on the apron and rather than decanting via an airbridge, a mobile stair was positioned next to the plane, the door opened and the worlds golfing press got ready for the photo shoot of the team on the stair.

Sure enough the front door opened and out came the USA team dressed in plus fours and jackets....all in a heavy tweed. Not a brolly in sight. So they came out rather begrudgingly and tried to take a quick photo call and get out of the rain. 

The signal came to my oppo and he raised his Walkie talkie. 

'Hold the limos, repeat, hold the limos' and gave a thumbs up and beamed at the yank. and the rain continued.
    A minute or so passed and he got another signal. He shrugged as if to say 'dunno' and raised the Walkie talkie again.
    'Hold the limos, repeat, hold the limos'

Still raining and the yanks are now soaked on the mobile steps.

Another couple of minutes pass and the yank gofer is now visibly furious. The golfers are drenched, kicking off and so finally my oppo finally calls in the limos. They are collected by the limos one by one and the tweeds have properly got water logged.

Several weeks later, and after a European victory, me and my oppo are having a pint and conversation turned to the Ryder cup and what a great victory it was. My oppo's response was priceless:

'oi'd loike ta think oi had a hand in it meself'

I almost showered him with Guinness mid swig.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Love it!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    The captain's match tonight was great. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Damn. We should have had 10 vice captains. I knew that 5 wouldn't be enough.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Yesterday morning I was telling all that would listen that the USA would thump us.....tea time yesterday I was telling everyone that would listen "told you so"...by the time I went to bed last night I thought we could win it 

I love the Ryder cup. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    The golf course for this years Ryder Cup looks very flat and boring. The rough is cut way too short to cause players some difficulty getting the ball out. Europe played fairly well in the foursomes but could not make a putt. No way will it be a walkover for USA. The last few singles matches will decide the contest.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Rory gone to pot, Westwood misses again!..classic Westwood screwup.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • McIlroy is a knobber and his fake American accent.  The yanks can keep him.  
  • All square...game on!