Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fastest you've ever moved on a pedal

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
Weeks of online searching, drooling over YouTube demos, painstakingly trawling through reviews and Fretboard threads. Yes - yes, this is the one. The Timeline is the answer to everything. Once I have this pedal the search will have ended. Drive 3 hours there and back - 1 day playing with it. 
Bollox - not for me. And was up for sale the next day. 
What's the fastest turnaround time you've had?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17647
    tFB Trader
    About an hour. 

I usually know when I'm not going to get on with something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • literally up for sale in an hour - my 24 now seems a bit pathetic...

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17647
    tFB Trader
    Yep
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Mooer Pure Octave had less than 30 minutes play time before I knew it wasn't staying.

Thought it would do a Micro Pog on the cheap but should have paid more attention to the bad reviews... Even Mooer themselves try to give you a clue to its potential by making it the colour of a turd.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What is it with octaves and the colour brown? At one point I had an angry Charlie and oc2 - contemplated the strymon Lex - but no matter how good it all sounded, my board was going to look like a gastroenterologist's stool chart....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A day. @Wazmeister can vouch for this.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1383
    There's been more than one pedal that I've literally plugged in, played for five minutes and thought "this is a bit shit"
  • Yup about an hour. Quite a few times too. Some pedals really are rubbish.
  • Definitely after a play through, you often tell pretty soon if it's for you or not. 
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • This is reassuring. I was expecting a flurry of 'you've got to spend some time with them, tweak away, invest in the pedal' etc etc but my experience is that you know within 5 minutes. 
    What a fickle bunch we are. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72483
    I've decided to put a pedal up for sale before it even arrived.

It was a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz-Wah that I bought one evening on Ebay after several beers… because I missed my old Sound City Fuzz-Wah.

The following day I did some research and wasn't optimistic. When it arrived it duly sounded terrible - it wasn't a fuzz-wah, it was a crap-sounding distortion and an average-sounding wah in the same housing. It went to the shop on the next trip in - I did eventually sell it at only a tiny loss, so not all bad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well you can't get much earlier than before you've even got it. You win
    ebay + beer = dangerous 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Yep, sometimes literally only takes about ten minutes to an hour, depending on how versatile it can be. It's mostly distortion/fuzz pedals.

I got a second hand Way Huge Echo Puss from Coda last week, tried it for half an hour, and am about to put it up for sale here.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited September 2016
    About an hour - it was a Line 6 M5 and back it went to the shop. Previously, a day for a used, 70s MXR Envelope Filter that didn't work
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    About an hour. 

I usually know when I'm not going to get on with something.
    This^ sometimes you just know it's not what you expected
  • I bet @GavRichList moved quicker than Michael Flatley on his pedals before he went all midi ;)

Back to the actual question:
    Recovery Effects Bad Comrade.  Plugged in, 10 minutes later of all the screeching and self oscillation I decided I was never gong to tame it in to something I could use for more than 5 seconds at a time.
  • @nickb_boy not massively actually.... think maybe the quickest was the Zvex Fat Fuzz Factory... and I still thought it was good 
  • I added some wheels to a couple of old BOSS pedals and strapped then on and skated down hill and got up to about 12 mph before falling off. I think that's the fastest I have moved on a pedal.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited September 2016
    15 minutes: Way Huge Overrated Special. Boxed up and MyHermes label stuck on shortly after to return back to store.

The clue was in the name

• I added some wheels to a couple of old BOSS pedals and strapped then on and skated down hill and got up to about 12 mph before falling off. I think that's the fastest I have moved on a pedal.
    you should have tried the Flux capacitor pedal - apparently you can actually go forwards in time...