Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Camera Phones at gigs. RANT.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30928
I don't believe there's anything wrong with taking 4 or 5 shots during a show- that's perfectly reasonable.

However, the whole selfie/camera thing has reached such proportions that it's a bloody disease.

I wonder if a band get a 21 camera salute rather than appluase these days.

I have never ever seen so many as last night at Gilmour. It was endemic. I took 5 pics in 3 hrs which I think is pretty reasonable. THe bloke (naturally a hipster type) next to me took at least 150- to the point I asked him when the competition deadline took place.

Whilst I realise that people want memories, literally spending all show taking pics and vids must detract from the actual show itself. I wonder if the primary reason they go is just to take  pics for their next night down the pub.

I really, really object to having a phone held high at in front of my eyeline for 5 minutes of a song. I honestly feel like grabbing the phone and holding onto it until the show's over, but sadly it's the social norm.

At the gigs last year, they strictly enforced the no filming policy for the shows; it was better for it.

At the very first performance last year, a guy in front of me started to vid the outro solo to Comfy RIGHT in front of my eyes. I complained- he asked why- I said 'You'd not tape the Pope reciting the Lord's Prayer at the Vatican so don't do it during the musical equivalent...'

God, this grinds my gears to the point I almost don't bother taking my meagre 3 or 4 pics because even that amount feels like hypocricy.

ARGH!.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    I don't even take many pictures on holiday anymore, I realised I was no longer "in the moment" half the time and may as well have watched a documentary on wherever I was instead. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pics or it didn't happen (preferable pics taken on a phone please)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've always wanted to ask people who film songs at gigs, when do you ever watch them?

Kills the moment for me, but I do take a couple of photos a gig, 5 max I guess (sometimes a selfie!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Robert Fripp and King Crimson have a phone ban .....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928

Benjamin Cumberbund singing Comfy.

• It bugs me because people block the view by statically holding their arms up and the light from the screens undermines the lighting show from the stage...  Also the crowd are the atmosphere, even if the band leads it.  Everyone stood still concentrating on filming is a dull crowd.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2016
    That could be anyone
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All I'll say is if they'd have done in in the Strangers' mosh pit back 'in the day' they'd have been mincemeat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i agree it is a vile practice at a show, it's disrespectful to the artist and the other people who have bought tickets.
    It happens at football all the time too - people with iphone 7s think they can capture the action better than the legion of 4K HD cameras recording the action for TV...

it's invasion of the bodysnatchers with phones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6691
    ^ This. 

I have a clause in my contract that nobody is allowed to record or film or take photos without written consent of the band. Works fine in venues where ushers/security can stop them but doesn't cut it at outdoor festivals. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Couldn't agree more. I just don't see what people get out of it. Do they seriously sit down and watch the vid/go through all those photos?

There's a good online clip of Bruno Mars in paris where he tells the crowd to put your f'ing cameras down and make some noise. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2016
    It is a crazy phenomenon - Ive been to a gallery where people were filming/photoing some really major sculptures and paintings with a phone, but barely even glancing at them with their own two eyes. Complete insanity - whether its at gigs, sporting events, museums or whatever, I just dont understand it.
    One guy was using a flash for the entire show- Guy Pratt, ever blunt, went to front of stage and publically mouthed ''You absolute cunt.' a him.

3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    p90fool said:
    I don't even take many pictures on holiday anymore, I realised I was no longer "in the moment" half the time and may as well have watched a documentary on wherever I was instead. 
    this in spades.
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    I admit that i'll take some photo's (like upto 20 maximum) at gigs and usually video record one song (usually do a 360 to get a few seconds of the crowd, but that's it. The reason is for memories, yes I do look back at them, and the rest of the show I like to watch and just enjoy the atmosphere.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Kate Bush banned phones from her shows - and people took that to heart.

I'd like to see that upheld by more people, tbh. I don't take pictures at gigs because 1) the pics are usually shit, 2) they don't help "remember" the night and 3) I don't want to be *that arsehole* that spoils someone else's moment because my camera gets in their way.

TBH, I think Guy Pratt hit the nail on the head in @Gassage story above - it just ruins other people's moment, including the band.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I saw Warren Haynes do his folky/ Americana esque offshoot solo show earlier this year, which was in a theatre that had clear "no cameras/ no photography" signs on view. To my absolute surprise, I didn't see a single phone during the entire 3 hour performance. I was gagging to take a couple of sneaky pics myself, but I must admit it made a nice refreshing change.

I think the fact the ban was so closely observed was probably down to a couple of factors - an older crowd, a "folkier" crowd and the theatre setting (it relly felt quite different, a wee bit more polite and formal that a club gig) but still, was odd. In a good way.

• I think a memory of a gig (whether a visual image, or even being able to conjure up what it sounded like to you at that time) is better than any photo or recording.

Skarloey said:
    I think a memory of a gig (whether a visual image, or even being able to conjure up what it sounded like to you at that time) is better than any photo or recording.

Having seen a total of 12 of the shows on this tour, Nimes Amphitheatre show will remain in my mind forever.

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited September 2016
    Yes, it's an unpleasant phenomenon. As the OP says, a few pics over the course of the gig are fine, but the majority of people take the piss and wield their phones throughout.