DVLA Fines

What's Hot
musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
Some people may have noticed I'm selling a lot of stuff. First I needed building work now I've just discovered the wife's car hadn't had the address changed. I thought she taxed it when she remembered the MOT, but sadly not.

this was due in July so I just found out they have fined us for not paying, but also I've been driving without tax for some time.

that's £80 fine for not paying the tax and 1.5 times the value of the road tax (£130) + £30 for each time we have been spotted happily trundling around unawares. Basically £225 per spotted venture to the shops. The DVLA said that there is currently just one offence, but I've driven past ANPR vehicles several times this week so there could be a stack more on the way that haven't yet been processed.

I'll know the worst in a few days.
any sage advice?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Bugger.
    After a very close call I started setting a calendar event for when road tax, insurance and MOT is due on the 2 cars and 3 motorbikes in our household.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Can't help on the paying-the-fines bit but I have put tax, insurance and MoT renewal as reminders in my Google calendar.

Also don't forget these days, its an offence to have a car which is taxed, but not insured. So if you don't use a car and transfer the insurance to another, you can't leave it taxed, it needs to be SORNed. I nearly got stuck for that fine, because I had another car who's tax was only £30/year so it was hardly worth cancelling it in case I needed it again.

Somewhere there's an online service for checking tax and MoT too, no doubt someone knows the handy link (or Google will prominently find it).
  • It's alright, I'll just pop out and check the tax disc to see when it's due, oh that's right you pay your money and get... err... nothing...  so another nice little cash cow revenue stream, it's almost as if it was deliberately engineered that way !   X(

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always get sent a reminder when my car tax is due, also now I pay by direct debit monthly, so I think it would be difficult to miss.

I always forget my MOT until there's a week or two to go, garage busy and booked up... argh! Setting up a calendar alert is very good advice.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Setting up a calendar reminder also means you can book it to do the test 30 days before it expires. If it fails, you can still use the car based on the previous MoT pass being valid. (Because it doesn't actually "Fail" an MoT, its a refusal to issue a certificate).
  • MOT and service at the same time - it's cheaper - and tax the car when the DVLA send you the letter - job done!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    It's alright, I'll just pop out and check the tax disc to see when it's due, oh that's right you pay your money and get... err... nothing...  so another nice little cash cow revenue stream, it's almost as if it was deliberately engineered that way !   X(
    Just in case you weren't aware you can check it online.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • It's alright, I'll just pop out and check the tax disc to see when it's due, oh that's right you pay your money and get... err... nothing...  so another nice little cash cow revenue stream, it's almost as if it was deliberately engineered that way !   X(
    They send you a nice letter almost a month before it expires.

• False plates is the answer.  Obviously free petrol is a bonus too.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7343
    I moved recently. I changed the address on my driving license and my tax comes out monthly by direct debit. Is there anything else I should have done? 
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited September 2016
    Yep. Change the address on your Vehicle's V5C form
  • DVLA had my license address but don't appear to link the two together
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243

@DefaultM you need to update the address on your V5 (vehicle registration document) as well as your driving license.

But if you're paying by DD, then after the year is up, they'll send you an email with the payment details for the year ahead, and provided you still have a valid MOT and insurance, then you don't need to do anything. At least I never when my van's 1st year got renewed last month.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7343
    edited September 2016
    Yeah I've had the car over a year and I've changed address before the year was up. No problems with the tax from what I've seen. I've carried on paying it.
  • I've just paid my £40 fine for no tax couple days ago. I've not driven the car though, it's been off the road for months. However, I forgot to declare the SORN so I thought fair enough, lesson learnt... except that this is the second time it's happened.  :3