Nintendo DS family

What's Hot

What are they like nowadays and which is the best one to get?  Was thinking of getting our lad a 2ds for Christmas.  £80 with a game included sounds reasonable but just wondering what they are like and which is the best one to get.

The 3DS looks better in that it folds over, but as I understand they play the same games and it is £100 more.

Currently he has a Tesco Huddle, which is great and he occasionally plays my xbox, but the Nintendo world does seem very good for kids.  I do look for the odd game on the xbox but they are nearly all for teenagers plus, wheras Nintendo seems to serve the younger market much better.

So anybody have one of the newer handhelds or your kids, if so what's the verdict?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    edited September 2016
    The new 3ds can play SNES games. 

Why don't I have one yet??
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    I have a 2DS and a new 3DS XL. They do indeed play the same games, though there are a couple that only work on the New 3DS (or XL). The 2DS is going unloved at the moment if you're interested.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16710
    I'm waiting to see what they release next.  Should be March next year for a new console which may or may not bridge some gaps with the handhelds
    I think a 3DS is worth owning for Fantasy Life alone. That, right there, is a proper-good game.
  • Sporky said:
    I have a 2DS and a new 3DS XL. They do indeed play the same games, though there are a couple that only work on the New 3DS (or XL). The 2DS is going unloved at the moment if you're interested.
    Thanks, but currently leaning towards the 3DS XL myself after looking at them today.  When I say myself, I mean my son, I'll let him borrow his Christmas present occationally ;)
    That seems reasonable on all counts. :D
  • WezV said:
    I'm waiting to see what they release next.  Should be March next year for a new console which may or may not bridge some gaps with the handhelds
    I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you probably be taken out by a ninja*

*waving an NDA with my signature on it

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    FX_Munkee said:
    WezV said:
    I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you probably be taken out by a ninja*

*waving an NDA with my signature on it

Ooo you tease.

I don't know what it is, but I want one... 
  • This is an article that has been written a person who is completely unrelated to myself, and with whom I have no connection.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    FX_Munkee said:
    This is an article that has been written a person who is completely unrelated to myself, and with whom I have no connection.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

So you may or may not be saying this is accurate?
    My V key is broken
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    holnrew said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    This is an article that has been written a person who is completely unrelated to myself, and with whom I have no connection.

So you may or may not be saying this is accurate?
    I may or may not be saying either of those.