Planning permission on rural land

What's Hot
An idea is to have a workshop / recording hut on restricted use land literally bordering residential houses. I've read some bits about sheds etc on land without planning permission but am curious if anyone here has had personal experience of it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Its going back a few years, but I do remember a module on planning when I studied agriculture. I know that you can use farmland for something else if its occasional use (I think, 12x a year) for example events; I don't think it would cover the erection of buildings for that (non-agri) use though. You could build a cow shed but never use it though, if it were under a certain size.

Is the land part of the land for a dwelling? There's various (quite generous) exemptions for "temporary structures" which can last quite a long time..... there's various rules about size and how far from the border (of the land) they are though. Like, oversized plush garden sheds....
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    My understanding is that the agricultural buildings have to be part of a business if new and demonstrably so (income etc). This would be without an existing residential property so I don't believe the usual rules for a shed or such apply. 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Yes its probably true........but there's nothing to say it needs to be profitable, or large. There's plenty of "interesting" buildings on farmland with 3 chickens outside in the car park.....
  • Winny pooh, this is a subject I know a lot about. 

If it is on agricultural land, a shed can be a permitted development (I.e. no need to apply for permission), only if reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture (as a business, not a hobby). Even if it falls within the permitted development criteria and limits, it is still necessary  to go through the prior notification procedure with the council, who must state within 28 days it its PD or requires planning permission. If no prior notification is given it will need permission

without knowing all the facts, this shed does not sound like it would be agricultural PD. If it's not within the curtilage of a house ( and within certain limits) it will definitely need permission, which would then be assessed against the councils planning policies. The impact upon the amenity of the nearby residential properties would be a consideration, as will design, materials, visual impact, access etc.

This may not be what you want to hear; but it's better to know the score before doing anything. The wisest thing would be to ask the planning department whether permission is needed.  

If you want more advice I'm happy to help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I have nothing to add but @MagicPigDetective has one of the best usernames i've seen
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited October 2016
    @MagicPigDetective thank you that simplifies things in my mind fair bit. Will PM you one or two questions later.