Any Magma fans?

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
edited January 2014 in Music
I got one of their live DVDs recently, myths & legends. Blimey they're good, really tight and featuring some great musical talent. Their guitarist is particularly excellent.

I've got some of their early stuff on vinyl but haven't played it for years. I realise they're a bit of an acquired taste, just wondering if anyone else here liked them?

Btw, in a couple of the between-song interviews, Steve Interesting Davis pops up. Apparently a massive fan and he was the promoter for one of their rare UK gigs. Who'd a thunk it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Cripes there's a name from the dim and distant !

Pre-Brand-X, Brand-X - really ahead of their time Prog-Jazz, still going apparently.

A taster .....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    edited January 2014
    love magma!
    especially their middle period around the attahk era

vander is just about my fav drummer of all time

heh, i posted the exact same youtube as above at the same time .... will pick another
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    Not just me then >:D<
    Yup they're still going, they do a series of annual gigs at Triton in France, which is where the DVDs are filmed.
  • Necro bump for Magma fans
    They're playing in Islington in October - bought my tickets already - 30 years since I saw them - ouch.
  • Me too! First saw them when they were touring to promote Mekanik DK at the Apollo, Victoria (I think it was called the Apollo then). Also went to the gig Steve Davis promoted at the Shaw Theatre in Camden. 

I'm interested in sourcing a digital copy of Mekanik, if anyone can help. The only one available (which I own) is at the ludicrously low sample rate of 128kb. Even a needle drop from vinyl to WAV  would be an improvement. 

• Would have loved to see them in MKD days but the Steve Davis gig was great (thanks Steve!).
    I don't have a digitiser set up for the tunrtable so can't do MKD for you - sorry!
  • I love their Attakh album but it's the only one I have, what else should I buy?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    I love their Attakh album but it's the only one I have, what else should I buy?
    No idea of the “proper” spelling, but you’ll get the gist I’m sure. Mekanich Destruckive Kommando, Kohntarkosz and Udu Wudu: all very good. The live album from 1977 is great too. The recent-ish live dvds are decent (but pricey) , although I actually prefer the earlier singers in the band line up: Janik Top and Klaus Blasquiz. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep what Boogie Man said - I only like one side of Udu Wudu but it's worth it for that side.
    Jannik Top didn't sing to my knowledge - bald headed very aggressive bass player - his style I mean, not the guy, though who knows. I guess he may have done a bit of growling.
    Did'ja know Top was a member of the French pop group Space - Magic Fly was their big hit - classic electro pop. !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep what Boogie Man said - I only like one side of Udu Wudu but it's worth it for that side.
    Jannik Top didn't sing to my knowledge - bald headed very aggressive bass player - his style I mean, not the guy, though who knows. I guess he may have done a bit of growling.
    Did'ja know Top was a member of the French pop group Space - Magic Fly was their big hit - classic electro pop. !
    I didn’t know that! And yeah you’re right, I’m getting my bass players mixed up with my singers.  :)

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Jalapeno said:
    Cripes there's a name from the dim and distant !

Pre-Brand-X, Brand-X - really ahead of their time Prog-Jazz, still going apparently.

A taster .....

Wow! Heard of Magma, but not seen that before. That's bloody excellent, the drummer and bass player in particular are outstanding. Have to check out some more...
  • Would have loved to see them in MKD days but the Steve Davis gig was great (thanks Steve!).
    I don't have a digitiser set up for the tunrtable so can't do MKD for you - sorry!
    Ta anyway. I'm staying positive!  The CD I've got is really poor quality in the sense that it is a proper 44.1/16bit CD but analysing the WAV file makes it obvious it was created from the same 128k source that is available as an iTunes download. It just sounds flat and lifeless.