Lunchbox, Cranked Marshall sound, Countess V30 vs Sheriff 22 vs Pink Taco vs Runt-20?

What's Hot
So in another thread I've posted about how my endgame appears to be a modeller, but in the meantime I feel like I need to make a 'final hurrah' in valve amplification.  I've been using an Orange Crush CR120H into a Laney 2x12 (no-name speakers) and it's definitely OK - using a JHS AT or MXR 5150 into the clean channel gives me pretty much everything from classic rock to stoner doom, modern post-metal or whatever. However, it just doesn't really inspire me the whole shebang takes up alot of space!

I seem to have narrowed down the tone I'm after to that 80's heavy rock / early heavy metal sound - think Whitesnake, Helloween, Manowar, Saxon and Maiden. If possible I'd like to be able to boost into that hairy Orange stoner-metal space, and I'm happy to sacrifice the 5150-style distortion.

The only Victory I've played was a BD1 which was rather uninspiring, and so I'm a little wary of the Countess/Sheriff although they are almost half the price of the Friedmans - to the extent we're close to Mesa Mk. V:25 territory. Between the Friedmans it would appear the PT has more gain (and more gain options), but the Runt has a clean channel. Both sound great to my ears, and I will do some testing in anger with them tomorrow at GuitarGuitar Epsom.

Having said that, I would really appreciate any insight or options too consider - I'm (so far) not gigging and I think my criteria aren't unreasonable!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Final hurrah?  Metal?

Mesa JP-2C?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have a peavy 6505 mini, a 5150 III lbx , a Friedman BE100 and. PT-20 all into an amp switcher box going into a Blackstar Artisan 2x12 and a Torpedo loadbox DI'd into a cab sim in Logic

The PT is the best straight 80s 90s Rock tone of the three. It sounds great

it is the only thing it does but it seems that focus serves it really well

even the BE doesn't do 'that' tone as well
    I'll post some clips when I get some time
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Have you tried the Orange Jim Root Terror? 
    I was pleasantly surprised by a Terror through a 4x12 a few weeks ago when one of the guitarists in the lads band was put through one and the others through Blackstars. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    No
    im a big fan of the the tiny terror though
    although I used to dime the master and bring the gain up then shove a overdrive into it
    not tried the JR one
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    What's the peavey mini like?
  • Cabicular said:
    I have a peavy 6505 mini, a 5150 III lbx , a Friedman BE100 and. PT-20 all into an amp switcher box going into a Blackstar Artisan 2x12 and a Torpedo loadbox DI'd into a cab sim in Logic

@Cabicular ;

I'm still really keen on the PT.  Does it still have a big tone and big bottom end despite it being EL84 loaded?

Also is it good at low volume?

Many thanks 
  • William WilliamsonWilliam Williamson Frets: 107
    edited October 2016
    I played the PT today at GuitarGuitar. It has a really good master volume - even at levels you could easily talk over it had a good sound. It has a lovely drive/distortion which is exactly up my alley. On the other hand, pushing it past 5 on the master volume was louder than you'd want in your house - speaking one of the staff there, he's apparently gigged it no problem.

I tried the Runt and found although it did have the clean channel, the PT cleaned up well by adjusting the volume. I felt that the drive sound was a little more raspy and strident than the PT, which was more full.

I also tried a Mesa Mk V:25 and it sounded AWESOME clean, and had a very different gain sound (obviously). It was a little bit like driving a Turbo-Diesel Lexus versus the Pink Taco which was more like a Porsche 911. There are SO many options - but honestly I do'nt want to fiddle - I want to plug in and play.

It's also worth nooting that the 1x12 Runt cab sounded otherworldly and I'm seriously considering a 1x12 with a Creamback in it too.

Cabicular said:

@Cabicular ;

I'm still really keen on the PT.  Does it still have a big tone and big bottom end despite it being EL84 loaded?

Many thanks 
    As mentioned it has a great MV
    it is a big brown sound
    its only downfall is that it is a one trick pony
    but if you like the trick then it is perfect 

im not at home but I'll do a quick clip comparison when I do

Evildurka said:
    What's the peavey mini like?
    It has a lot of options . If you play with it long enough you can get a big variety of sounds most of which are usable
    decent digital reverb and decent clean tones
    insane amount of gain available
  • Cabicular said:

This is what I'm worried about honestly, I'm in love with that sound - and the only thing which is pushing me towards the Mesa is that if I got bored of THAT SOUND, I could at least dial in something slightly different with that.
  • Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:

@Cabicular ;

Many thanks 
    As mentioned it has a great MV
    it is a big brown sound
    but if you like the trick then it is perfect 

im not at home but I'll do a quick clip comparison when I do

Thanks for the info @Cabicular  :)

I love that classic 80/90's tone and I've seen some great videos this afternoon of it producing equally good cleaner tones and blues too 

Talking myself into this