ITunes, you bastard

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
edited October 2016 in Off Topic
Downloaded some postman pat for my son to watch when he wakes up in the morning. we are on holiday tomorrow and as Butlins doesn't give free WiFi so I can't YouTube it like we do at home now, I had to have something he likes. Downloads lovely but can I play it on anything else bar itunes? Can I I fuck...ideally, we'd have it on our Samsung galaxy tablet but can't evenue convert it without it being a massive hassle...grumble 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    edited October 2016
    Can't you just convert it to mp3 in iTunes? I do that with mine, I never use the Apple format.

Set 'import settings' to mp3 and then 'convert file' from the File menu.

Or is the file locked? They used to do that with some of them.

Edit - doh, read question :). That only applies to music...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'm not sure tbh, if have to have a look 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I assume it's a video, so ICBMs advise won't work.

You wont be able to play iTunes videos on an android phone. See what you can find on the Google play store. Or you can get a YouTube downloader.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6082
    Can you open it in Quicktime Player? It can open most Apple video formats iirc.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Is it an MV4 file? Try renaming it to MP4 - that will work if it's not a protected file. If it's protected then its iTunes.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah sorry, misread it and thought you were asking about music. If it's a video format I use MPEG Streamclip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Welcome to closed eco-systems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

Welcome to closed eco-systems.
    That's why I only use mp3 and mp4… they play on anything. The really funny thing is that the iPhone doesn't seem to like any other normal video format (eg avi or mov) either.

Yeah, changing the file extension doesnt work.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Try this video convertor http://www.freemake.com
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Jetfire said:
    Yeah, changing the file extension doesnt work.  
    You can't just change the extension and expect it to convert file type to the new extension name. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I presume it is a m4v in which case renaming to mp4 should work fine UNLESS the file has DRM in which case it's gonna be a hassle.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    edited October 2016
    Even if you use Apple products you are better of downloading from sites that sell MP4 (or MP3 for music) and importing.  That way you can play them on any device.  You are also not locked into Apple for life - which is why Apple use non-standard formats so they can lock you in.

Amazon are just as bad with ebooks.  Even if you have a Kindle buy the books direct from the publisher or from the Kobo store as EPUBs and then convert to the Amazon format.  Preferably buy a Kobo in the first place if you are looking for an ebook reader.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Obviously the correct solution would be to purchase an iPad.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    edited October 2016
    <patronize>Turn the tech off and be a parent</patronize>   ;-)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maynehead said:
    Obviously the correct solution would be to purchase an iPad.
    Not sure if you are being entirely serious but seeing the way my daughters (8 and 4) treat tablets it's cheap Android all the way.

Even the cheap ones aren't bad these days.  I've just bought 4 for our church for displaying song words/chords etc. and got £50 change over what a single iPad would have cost.  They aren't great but they are functional.  They would be fine for a kid.
    Yeah,  I knew full well just changing the file exteniton wouldn't work, but someone suggested it so I thought I'd try it.

Also, I am being a parent, if you'd even watched Timothy Goes To School at 5am, I'm doing him a favour! Lol

• TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Jetfire said:
    Yeah,  I knew full well just changing the file exteniton wouldn't work, but someone suggested it so I thought I'd try it.

Also, I am being a parent, if you'd even watched Timothy Goes To School at 5am, I'm doing him a favour! Lol

Ah no problem. Working in IT support I have seen people change the extension to something completely different and expect it to open in a different application.

These days a lot of people don't even seem to know what a file extension is.