Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Windows 10 Updates

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6265
Anyone been having problems recently following the latest round of W10 updates? Just had problems with outloook and Edge, both not working properly, and yet again had to use sfc /scannow to sort out.

Frustrating. A couple of weeks ago post an update, had a problem where task manager woulnd't work, and neither would start button. Always seems to happen when you have a deadline to hit as well.

Seems to be a lot of issues with Win10.

Or is it just me??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    The latest update means my Lenovo Yoga doesn't come out of sleep mode.

Particularly irksome as in general Win10 had been doing quite a nice job.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24336
    I can't seem to turn off Cortana fully now. 

I can't find the P2P settings now - so I have no idea if MS are now using my bandwidth to spread updates. If anyone has found where they've hidden the settings, please post here!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

My wife's laptop no longer fully shuts down after the last update.  The screen goes black but the power stays on, so you have to force it off holding the power switch. It's something to do with an Intel Service Manager driver, I can roll it back, which works but then the latest driver is reinstalled again.  After an hour faffing around I did think perhaps moving to a mac would be easier.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I've had a Mac for a while, Mac Mini, the i5. Tbh, its rubbish. None of my clients use Macs, so its a complication I could do without. I don't like the OS either, it feels odd. Could be cos I have use a PC since 1992. To me the Apple OS looks and feels like a toy.

Until recently I couldn't really fault Windows, but these latest series of updates have been poor.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • After the 1607 update I had a couple of minor problems, which were fixed quite easily.

1) I had to uninstall and reinstall the driver to my Zoom UAC-2 audio interface to get the GUI software to work again. The audio interface itself was working from a hardware persepective. But I think the update might have replaced the device driver with a Windows driver, because the GUI software wasn't working and showed the device as disconnected.

2) My PC lost the licence for Addictive Drums, so I had to run the XLN audio manager software to remove the licence then reallocate it to the same PC again.

Apart from that things seem OK, so far.

It's not a competition.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    No issues here.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

2) My PC lost the licence for Addictive Drums, so I had to run the XLN audio manager software to remove the licence then reallocate it to the same PC again.

I've had that too. Easy to fix, as you say. I do like AD2, they sound great.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    I had some issues a week ago where it froze on start up after an unscheduled update (bastards). Apart from a few restarts luckily all is well again so far. Was so frustrating though at the time.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    This is the first Windows update, after 15 years of owning Windows powered machines, that has been a bit shonky. I had to reinstall my graphics card and sound card drivers. All is fine now.

On the plus side, the search box in the taskbar now works, so there's that.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    I'm not that up on the soft side of PC's these days but when 10 came out you could set your wifi as a metred connection which prevented Windows downloading the updates. Personally if everything is working fine then I don't want the update 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    All seems to work but the update took about two hours to complete....
  • No problems with mine either. I seem to be in a minority but thus far Win10 is by far the best Windows OS I've used.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All seems fine here, but had to re-install my bluetooth speaker. The log-in screen and menu bar look better now in my opinion.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    No problems for me on two machines except Cortana popping up with stupid messages which I've managed to turn off - sorry @fretmeister I can't remember how I did it.  My wife hasn't complained so I assume her laptop is ok as well.

I quite like the new way they have done the start button menu.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    No problems with mine either. I seem to be in a minority but thus far Win10 is by far the best Windows OS I've used.
    Same. Despite having to reinstall my graphics/sound card drivers, I'm loving W10. It's a great balance between the functionality of W7 and the flair of W8.1.
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Mine is fine at the moment,cortana still fully off, and sleep still works properly. Don't use edge as I find chrome better for my needs, and don't use outlook as gmail is better for my needs so can't comment on that.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Mine won't install the latest update. Says it's because of an app that's installed but doesn't tell me which app. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    No problems for me
    My V key is broken
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    Will check. I have a Mac with bootcamp running win 10 and both that and the OSX need an update it seems. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    No problems for me either. Took a couple of hours. The best Windows to date. By far.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom