Too soon?

I think Owen Coyle is on thin ice too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    too soon. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I'm currently listening to the recording of last weeks supporters meeting with the blackburn board representatives. To be fair I have to feel some sympathuy for Owen Coyle and the management team. It sounds like they are doinjg their best to work with absent and elusive owners. Also very tolerant with some nobby questions - a continual repetition of "as I said before, I have explained that and answered the question".

• I personally feel that managers should be given the season as a minimum (regardless of how badly they're doing) instead of this business where they take over towards the end of a season and save a team from the drop, then get sacked 6 weeks into the next season because the team isn't doing as well as the owners would like.

That said, if it wasn't for media hype and invented pressure etc, I don't think half the manager sackings would occur in the first place...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I feel for the Swansea dude, gets the sack on his birthday! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22944

Not happy about Guidolin getting the sack. 

I don't think he was exactly an inspirational manager - we seem to be setting our sights for the season no higher than 17th - and it's been a bad start, but we've already played the likes of Chelsea, City and Liverpool and (apparently) not done too badly against them.

I don't see how Bob Bradley, with no experience of managing in the UK let alone the Premier League, is likely to do any better.  At least he's not Ryan Giggs, I suppose....

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I'm not sure what owners expect managers to do.

American sports are much more sensible with giving managers a decent length of time.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

American sports are much more sensible with giving managers a decent length of time.
    NFL also has the draft system, salary caps etc, all of which help create a more level playing field. 

I don't follow NFL at all but my hunch is it's a bit more unpredictable year on year than the Premier League. 

Leicester last year was a glorious blip, I fear. 

• Disappointing that Villa noticed RDM lacks a Plan A let alone a Plan B much quicker than us Baggies did
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    Goes from winning the Champions League to getting sacked by Villa in the Championship. Cripes.
  • Bidley said:
    Goes from winning the Champions League to getting sacked by Villa in the Championship. Cripes.
    But he came from the championship before that really so not that different
  • Skarloey said:

NFL also has the draft system, salary caps etc, all of which help create a more level playing field. 

I don't follow NFL at all but my hunch is it's a bit more unpredictable year on year than the Premier League. 

Leicester last year was a glorious blip, I fear. 

I follow American sports and yes - there is draft lottery system (in nba all teams which didn't advance to playoffs stage take a part in draft pick lottery) and the worse you did (taking places 9-15 in each conference) the better chance for future pick you have (and therefore better prospect player from colleges). There is some dirty play to it (sometimes team going through rebuilding phase will try to lose games on purpose in order to have a better chance in future lottery) but system works well.
    Also - there a salary cap - so if you have a superstar paid millions- you have less money for the rest of the team OR you pay "luxury tax" which is expensive even for filthy rich owners.
    Still you have "top dogs" in the league and few teams with absolutely no chance for success, but much better balanced than European football and it changes every few years.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22944
    Bidley said:
    A friend of mine who's a Chelsea fan doesn't give Di Matteo any credit for winning the Champions League, he says it was all down to the players.  He said the same when Avram Grant took them to second in the PL.  

On the other hand, funnily enough, he was happy to give all the credit to Mourinho when he was there winning things.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3080
    Apart from getting us promoted from the Championship though eh? @thecolourbox .We were pretty good that season with only Newcastle finishing above us. 

Their problems are a bit more far reaching than RDM was led to believe by all accounts. Someone told me they'd won 4 in 51 league games yesterday which however you frame it is abysmal.

They're a big club so they'll appoint the right bloke eventually. 

thecolourbox said:
    Disappointing that Villa noticed RDM lacks a Plan A let alone a Plan B much quicker than us Baggies did

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• Apart from getting us promoted from the Championship though eh? @thecolourbox .We were pretty good that season with only Newcastle finishing above us. 

Their problems are a bit more far reaching than RDM was led to believe by all accounts. Someone told me they'd won 4 in 51 league games yesterday which however you frame it is abysmal.

thecolourbox said:
    Disappointing that Villa noticed RDM lacks a Plan A let alone a Plan B much quicker than us Baggies did

He got us up because we had better players than the other teams, in my opinion (which is probably wrong), who were playing with confidence unlike the Vile
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I blame it on the shape of his head...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Swansea ........ ho ho ho
    Man U ...... ho ho ho

hang on dammit! I'm a Man U fan!!!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3080
    Apart from getting us promoted from the Championship though eh? @thecolourbox .We were pretty good that season with only Newcastle finishing above us. 

thecolourbox said:

He got us up because we had better players than the other teams, in my opinion (which is probably wrong), who were playing with confidence unlike the Vile

This is true. Mowbray had already built the side (similar situation with RDMs Chelsea success too). 

I think a lot of what's happened/happening to Villa is down to sheer complacency. Even Radio WMs Reago was saying they'd get 100 points before the season started. Arf!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"