Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

75dB Volume Level

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    When I was bringing my wheelie bin back in I just noticed that it says "89dB" on it. I assume that's the maximum noise it makes when being trundled around when empty - which is quite loud, in a quiet village first thing in the morning. But you'd barely hear it in a town in the evening. If they really want music to be more than 10dB quieter than that, it's ludicrous.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Edinburgh is set to bring in similarly stupid limits. I used to live above a pub, so I'm not unaware that excessive noise can be a problem, but I chose to live there...

Unfortunately Edinburgh City Council are only interested in Culture if it means bringing in tourists in August. God forbid us little people who pay our council tax and live here for the other eleven months of the year do anything as vulgar as enjoy amplified music of an evening :(
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Well it's on for tomorrow night - i'll let you all know how it goes.

At best it's going to be a quiet gig where people won't want to dance etc (nobody likes dancing to a quiet rock band)

At worst our drummer hits a single drum we are told we are too loud, pack up , get paid, go home

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    edited October 2016
    Bring plenty of old t-shirts or similar, and some gaffer tape - you can put them over the drum heads if you have to. It will sound crap but it might be better than no gig.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Good luck with your low volume gig.  Can't wait to hear read how it went
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Years ago I used to play a couple of places with noise limiters, which would cut the power off if you were too loud. We used to use a drum machine so could play a lot quieter than most bands, yet audience clapping used to knock power off. 

Did the gig and it went much better than expected.

Did the sound check under landlady's supervision.

Drummer used brushes, my HRD was on very quietly. Singer was going through the PA but honestly her voice was just as loud with it turned off. Happy landlady.

2nd half - got asked to turn it up so we did. Nobody moaned and the pub seemed to love it.

Had one rather exciting issue though. A water pipe started leaking and a load of water dripped onto a four way extension, the PA mixer and one of our smaller lights. Thankfully nothing ruined but good job we noticed as they'd got very wet. Had to stop for ten minutes to change over 4 ways and make sure the PA wasn't fried

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I'm glad it went well for you :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Thanks gubble for reporting on how it went; we can all learn something from your experience.
    edited October 2016

Forgot to mention.

dB Meter sat on the bar (just a free app on my android phone). So probably 5 or 6 Metres from the bank

75-80dB drummer using brushes

88-92dB drummer using sticks

To put this into perspective Saturday night's gig at a pub that don't mind volume 105-110dB with the drummer really hitting things hard and the HRD running on about 3-4 on the volume.,

So can a rock band do a gig at 75dB - yes they can ! But it's a bit boring.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Crowd noise in a busy pub with chatter can be in the range 80-85dBA average
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    One thing I've found useful in these situations is to reduce the low frequencies, especially on the bass amp. 
    If you turn the bass knob down you can use a surprising amount of volume, allowing the bass guitar to keep driving the band. 

75dB does sound like some ignorant council knobhead thinks it's 3/4 of the volume of 100dB though. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited October 2016
    gubble said:

Spoke to the landlady who confirmed there's one (new) neighbour who is complaining about the noise.

This annoys me when someone moves into an area with, say, a speedway track or an airport etc and then complains about the noise. If the source of the noise was there before they moved in, then the council should be filing the complaint in their waste paper bin.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    When I was bringing my wheelie bin back in I just noticed that it says "89dB" on it. I assume that's the maximum noise it makes when being trundled around when empty - which is quite loud, in a quiet village first thing in the morning. But you'd barely hear it in a town in the evening. If they really want music to be more than 10dB quieter than that, it's ludicrous.
    That's probably a Sound Power Level (LwA).  You can calculate Sound Pressure Level (ie. what we actually hear) at whatever distance based on that ....think of a 60w light bulb brightness up close and then far away.

• andyoz said:
    ICBM said:
    That's probably a Sound Power Level (LwA).  You can calculate Sound Pressure Level (ie. what we actually hear) at whatever distance based on that ....think of a 60w light bulb brightness up close and then far away.

Here's a plot for a HK CTA208  you can see the drop in volume over distance

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    People also get confused with this 6dB drop in level for every doubling of distance.  It doesn't work like that indoors.  You do get a 6dB drop up close to speakers but then you hit the 'reverberant field' level and the drop off is much less as you move away.

You get the 6dB drop for doubling distance outdoors for a true point source.  It's the reason that line arrays are so popular live as you get more like 3dB drop for doubling distance and they can cover the audience more effectively with less gear.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I still carry a 30M extension lead.

In a band a few years back I remember a pub manager asked us to drape it over a fence so we could plug into a socket in the house next door.

Yup! I carry the same, although we've never brought it in from next door, its usually from the kitchen circuit which bypasses the 'traffic light' system perfectly.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)