Grandmeister valves

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So, I've been running stock valves in this since I've got it and  I think I need to try something different/new. Alot of stuff on the net says they get improved tones without the stock valves so I'm just wondering where does one start? I'd be looking at the usual amp guy here for haaaalllllppppp!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5273
    edited October 2016
    good place to start this particular journey would be with a large pile of spare cash:)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I put a full set of JJs in mine a few months back after a pre-amp valve failed and actually preferred the stock ones, they were warmer. Got used to the sound now the valves have settled in but wasn't happy to begin with. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I tried all sorts of valves in mine including some late 50s Mullard EL84s that were in an old hifi stereo amp I reworked a good number of years ago and was never really 100% happy with the tone.
    I put the originals back in just as I flogged it and TBH they seemed to suit the amp better. Still flogged it though :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Would you need new valves if you didn't have the internet? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    See, I like the clean channel but I don't know if I need different pick ups or not to give it more bottom end.  Also, it's difficult to find out what your amp sounds like properly unless its cranked...however, I am aware I've gigged the amp for a while and not changed the valves... just possibilites etc. 

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The bottom end was one of the main issues I had with it. It seemed to me that the middle control was voiced more like a second treble, the bass control didn't seem to do an awful lot and the amp didn't have the lower mid growl I like. 
    I guess it was possibly voiced this way so that the higher gain modes didn't flub out, but I almost never used those.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I just accept that it's difficult to get the same bottom end from EL84s as you can from larger bottles, and leave the rest to the bassist. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Alot of the valve reviews etc in hotrox says they add alot more bass to the situation, I think that when I had a gt in there,  there was alot of bass so I may mix the speakers in my cab and see what haopens ..
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Lack of girth in the sound (bass/presence) could be due to worn power valves. I'd replace those first if they've been in for a few years. If it turns out they didn't need replacing it's always useful to have spares. As for preamp valves, you could try a Tungsol in v1 which might open up the sound a little bit but don't expect miracles.