So Star Citizen?

i understand it's took ages to develop and it's still not there but people seem to be playing it as is. 

My my question is; is it any good or worth a punt at the £35 asking price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7570
    I paid them some money ages ago for the first module. It didn't work. I kind of lost faith at that point. 
    Red ones are better. 
    I was able to walk around the outside of my ship though. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    grungebob said:
    i understand it's took ages to develop and it's still not there but people seem to be playing it as is. 

My my question is; is it any good or worth a punt at the £35 asking price?
    If you agree with paying for games still under development then yes, there's a lot more to the game now - dig fighting sim, some places to fly to and visit etc. It's very nice looking, the engine is very good and there's a big community making a lot of effort to make it a big success. There's out-of-game lore, huge active fan-base making community posts - even making guides for combat or similar above and beyond what a games dev would put out (it even had a printed version at one point, whcih I think is sold out).

If you're not a fan of supporting games till they're out and finished then steer clear, Star Citizen is not likely to be "finished" for a while. The scope of the game is HUGE - think No Mans Sky if all the planned features of that game were actually intended to be put in the game... they recently admitted to some hiring mistakes which set them back a little... that should be sorted now, but it's still an unfinished game - officially still in Alpha. 

I like it (though never have much time to play thanks to uni and travel to uni) but I see it being a good old gap between now and release.

When it is out... if you liked the Wing Commander games you *should* love it
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    edited October 2016
    I did really like the wing commander games, that's a blast from the past!

so as the game stands at the moment then it's nothing like the 3.0 trailer I watched? 

I don't mind paying for it to be developed as I mean hell I bought NMS and that's for intents and purposes a shit game currently that I weirdly can't stop playing. You can't fly the ships, the fighting is weak and the endless mining is getting real thin, it's nowhere near as pretty as the trailers and it's constantly rendering the terrain. The npc's are shit too, why do I keep playing it?
    grungebob said:
    I did really like the wing commander games, that's a blast from the past!

so as the game stands at the moment then it's nothing like the 3.0 trailer I watched? 

I don't mind paying for it to be developed as I mean hell I bought NMS and that's for intents and purposes a shit game currently that I weirdly can't stop playing. You can't fly the ships, the fighting is weak and the endless mining is getting real thin, it's nowhere near as pretty as the trailers and it's constantly rendering the terrain. The npc's are shit too, why do I keep playing it?
    3.0 is the next major update and if you're on the test-test server you can I think play that... the more persistent test server is on 2.5 

I think 3.0 will be good fun to play - but again, it's still an alpha so there could be bugs, or missing features - I'd not want to recomend something only to be told that I'd over-sold something 
    Ok so if I'm right it'll cost me £35 to play minimum, don't understand really their pricing structure? 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    I turned down a pretty good offer from Cloud Imperium. Based purely on my instinct (I need to be in a stable(ish) job nowadays). I'm not entirely convinced they'll finish Chris's vision before it all goes pop.
    I know a few folks who do work there but I haven't spoken to them for a while so I'm not completely up to speed on where they are up to now.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Given that it's currently $120m+ in the hole and there's not even a beta date in sight, I'm going to confidently say I won't be touching it.

Any particular reason you're not up for Elite: Dangerous?
    <space for hire>
    Given that it's currently $120m+ in the hole and there's not even a beta date in sight, I'm going to confidently say I won't be touching it.

how do you mean $120m+ in the hole? That's how much they raised... are you saying they spent all they raised AND then spent the same amount again? 

That would still have them have spent less than Destiny cost ... a game with only the same mechanic repeated over and over and no real story content in a supposedly storey driven action RPG... 

I don't think Chris Roberts had the slightest idea how to run a company of nearly 400 people is the big problem and things got away from them - given how good the later version look and work I think they've solved a lot of the problems (they'd say they solved them all some time ago) 
    edited October 2016

I've looked at game play and it just doesn't grip me the same as star citizen. SC to me looks like a mash up between joint operations/delta force and the old original elite i.e. It seems fun in a way that ED seems over complicated and a slog. 
    Im happy to be proved wrong though. 
    I wanted NMS to be what SC is trying to be. If they could deliver what I saw in the trailer for 3.0 I'd be happy with it not in beta 

of of course I may not be able to run either with my Mac in bootcamp windows 10?
    grungebob said:

I've looked at game play and it just doesn't grip me the same as star citizen. SC to me looks like a mash up between joint operations/delta force and the old original elite i.e. It seems fun in a way that ED seems over complicated and a slog. 
    Im happy to be proved wrong though. 
    I wanted NMS to be what SC is trying to be. If they could deliver what I saw in the trailer for 3.0 I'd be happy with it not in beta 

of of course I may not be able to run either with my Mac in bootcamp windows 10?
    The tutorial killed my interest in ED - the combat tutorial was taking forever - my ship had the same turning speed as the enemy ships so I couldn't hit them and they couldn't hit me... was like trying to chase a supertanker in a supertanker ... apparently if I'd spent weeks or months trading I could have had a ship slightly better at turning, which with the tracking turrets would have made combat easy - though no more fun than tanker-sparing-1.0 and I've yet to see a video of ship combat that looks in any way exciting ... 

I fully accept that it was quite early days and things could have changed a bit since then

• SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    You should have been able to beat the enemy ships with the same turning circle as them - it's about planning your manoeuvres.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    You should have been able to beat the enemy ships with the same turning circle as them - it's about planning your manoeuvres.
    They matched every single change in direction... seriously I really tried... I've played a lot of space-sim games and NEVER felt so bored by the ship itself
    I want someone to remake X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for modern hardware.

Fast combat, shield/power management, just enough difficulty to keep you interested. That's enough. It needn't take 10 fricken years and a bajillion crowd funded dollars...
    Red ones are better. 
  • Elite Dangerous Arena is just that.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    ED is a good game but I think SC just took this up a level or 2 - check this (admittedly, controlled demo) - it looks stunning in depth and scale