I need a new jacket...(boring thread)

d8md8m Frets: 2434
edited October 2016 in Off Topic
I'm going to Iceland mid November and need a new jacket, needs to be warm but also waterproof.

I'm currently between:

Down Jacket, minimal waterproofing capabilities so would need to wear another waterproof coat on top.
I've never owned a jacket like this before and am really not convinced on durability, it feels so thing that I half expect the fabric to rip without effort.

Option 2 is this:

Less insulation on this one compared to the down jacket but it still has some, benefit of this one is that it is fully waterproof, Im thinking that combining this with the right layers(Base thermals etc.) will be enough to keep me toasty.

Any other options?

Has anyone been to Reykjavik in November and is able to give a first hand account of how cold it really is and which Jacket would be the better choice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited October 2016
    You're not Darren Adam off LBC are you??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    Your pics aren't working for me but I'd always go with get something warm, and get a waterproof/windproof outer shell.

Keeping them separate  gives you way more options
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27070
    edited October 2016
    I can't see the pic for #1 but Option 2 is the style you want - look for full waterproofing as first priority, with enough room underneath for layers. There's a reason Icelanders all wear thick woolly jumpers all the time!

I went to Iceland in September and it was incredibly windy and very cold in the rain. In Nov it'll be getting below freezing and you do not want to be getting wet in those temps.

Also, make sure you have decent waterproof boots and test them before you go. I didn't learn mine weren't properly waterproof until I was 20 feet from skogafoss waterfall. Seriously unpleasant!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    I got:

Mountain Equipment Citadel - warmth
    http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/citadel-jacket

and

Helly Hansen Loke Jacket - waterproof
    http://shop.hellyhansen.com/nl/item/loke-jacket-62252/
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Not sure why the pics aren't working, I never seem to have much luck with the updated site :(

im thinking of going for the 2nd jacket and getting a down gilet to go underneath, should give a good combo of warmth and waterproofing.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    looks like the image link you used was a cache link for your session

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/Img/Dyn/Cache/Products/50768-0107161524361137460243.jpg

Red ones are better. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Easy method!

Option 1

Option 2

• I personally think those down jackets looked silly, and keeping them dry is essential. So I'd just go for warm layers. It'll be chilly, but probably no worse than the UK on a cold winters day.

Get thermal underwear - long johns and long sleeve top. Then maybe some winter lined trousers like Craghopper Kiwi, a few top layers and a simple lightweight quality waterproof - my current one is a Berghaus Goretex Paclite which screws up nice and small into a bag when I don't need it.

Maybe worth getting waterproof socks if your boots/shoes aren't.
  • Have a look at M65 jackets (mostly from army surplus stores). Warm, most are waterproof and they have room for a liner too.
    <space for hire>
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Layering is the way to go, as some of the previous posts say. 

Wicking base layer. Warm mid layer and a waterproof / windproof outer shell.

You can chop and change then depending upon the situation. It's a lot more adaptable. 

Just be careful of sizing as some manufacturers make their clothing with this in mind ie. Their outer shell size small will be big enough to accommodate layers underneath. Whereas others don't and you have to size up. 

Arcteryx are great, and produce clothing in sizes to accommodate layers underneath. I use an RHO LT top, an Atom midlayer with an Alpha outershell. 

If you head to a Cotswolds Outdoor shop or Milletts you'll be able to pick something up relatively cheap. If you don't want to spend too much. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    How cold will it be?  We were in the Canadian Rockies in Winter, -25 to -35C, and had my trusty Berghaus GorTex outer and zip in windstopper fleece inner and was quite toasty.  Good hat and gloves are probably more important as that is where you lose heat from most quickly.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Been in Russia in -30. Dunno how cold it will be in Iceland, but I imagine it could be cold. Hat + gloves are essential. Without that you are screwed if its cold and/or windy.

Uniqlo do some good and cheap base layers, the heatech stuff- - long johns, and long sleeved tops. Decathlon do some good cheap ski socks.

Coatwise I used a Penfield parka, down filled. Layers layers and layers are the key.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    @Chris_B has the essentials. It does depent on what you are doing of course. When young and pretty I went skiing and often a tee shirt under a proper ski jacket was enough (but I wouldn't want to sit about through the night like that). Layers and more layers with waterproof on top. If you perspire readily make sure you have the wicking layer next to your skin. The natives in Canada and Russia will wear bear skin because it's just the best thermal offering and man hasn't yet produced anything better at an affordable price.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12359
    He to Go Outdoors, Rab gear is excellent, can't beat the berghaus fleece/goretex outer combo really though 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    I was last there a few years ago in December. It was cold but not that bad (-5C to +3C around the town I think). What I noticed most was how strong and "cutting" the wind was. I used a Mountain Equipment Goretex jacket that is windproof and it made a huge difference. I was very comfortable! We're going again in November and I kitted out a family member with something from Go Outdoors, can't remember how much it was but it wasn't too expensive and is supposed to be windproof too. Get some decent boots and gloves if you're going to be out and about (you'll be missing a lot if you don't explore!)

It's a fun place to visit: the people are very nice and the landscape is incredible. Not really a food/drink destination but there are a few good pubs/restaurants - drink is expensive and there doesn't seem to be much of a going out drinking culture compared to other countries - they only legalised beer relatively recently:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_Iceland

Have a great time
  • Contrary to what @oaf says, we learned that the Icelandic folk like to party later in the night - midnight onwards. We found a few good pubs/bars which were lively and had live music on. We even ended up in the record store (Lucky Records) which had a live jazz trio playing with a free Gin cocktail bar (£10 entry).

Food wise, there are some nice restaurants. I had an amazing pasta with langoustines. And the traditional lamb soup is good, often with free refills so ideal way to give yourself some central heating. 
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    I was there in October a couple of years ago.  Temperature was fine. I had a down vest thing and a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket. We were horseriding, and up on a glacier but was fine . Wasn't much colder than Scotland (where I am). 

If you're looking to buy something, maybe a  pile jacket like the Montane Extreme Smock/Jacket. Pretty versatile.

When I was there though it wasn't cold really though. 

Have a good time there. If any tips can help for your trip give me a shout.