Finding someone's address

What's Hot
harpoharpo Frets: 177
so I've been scammed by some miserable low life.....my fault, but anyway all I have is a name a mobile number and an e mail address how can I trace him ?
I met him in Cirencester I know he's around there 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    More details about how he scammed you??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    edited October 2016
    Sold me a fake watch ! He's a watch dealer
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Is he advertising other watches?

Get a mate to set up a meeting with him and then both turn up. Offer him the opportunity to put things right - if he refuses take all the evidence you have to the old bill.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    harpo said:
    Sold me a fake watch ! He's a watch dealer
    Did you use paypal or the like? Ebay? Their buyer protection is excellent
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    edited October 2016
    I can't see a site or anything where he's selling any more I think he advertises them on e bay
    i did the deal off e bay in person with cash not paypal
  • harpo said:
    I can't see a site or anything where he's selling any more I think he advertises them on e bay
    In that case I suspect you're screwed unfortunately. By bypassing ebay & PayPal you also bypass their protections & guarantees. 
    Even if you find him what can you do?
     Without solid evidence you can't prove anything. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    And what would you do if you had his address? If it were me, I fear I'd be tempted to do something unwise and illegal. So it maybe better not to have it.
  • @Heartfeltdawn is the master at this stuff. 
  • harpo said:
    Lesson learned the hard way, I'm afraid.

• Nobody's done it yet, but...just a reminder to be careful, lads - no personal details on here, please.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to hear it. When you do cash deals away from the computer, you have so little to go on. 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12365
    I was scammed a few years ago doing an of eBay cash deal, bought a combo amp, classic 30 iirc. foolishly didn't ask to plug it in as id had one before and knew broadly what they sound like, got it home and of course it's fucked. Went back round and he didn't want to know, stood at the door with his big barking dog on a lead to intimidate me, which it did. So went round with two very large Nigerian chaps from work (actually very sweet guys, not nutcases) Funny how quickly people can become reasonable when they see two big lads sat in the car. I handed over the amp, he went to the cash machine and got my money. Neither if us mentioned the guys in the car at all, it just worked like a charm.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    7reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    harpo said:
    Lesson learned the hard way, I'm afraid.
    Blimey some of you guys on here roll over easy!
    i persisted and persuaded him to meet me with an offer to make good. I threatened the police and it seemed to do the trick. I am now in possession of a genuine watch and some cash in exchange for the fake.  I'm fortunate I reckon not to have lost it all. 
  • harpo said:
    i persisted and persuaded him to meet me with an offer to make good. I threatened the police and it seemed to do the trick. I am now in possession of a genuine watch and some cash in exchange for the fake.  I'm fortunate I reckon not to have lost it all. 

If he's used his real email and phone number, then he's a cretin. Most scammers do not. You're fortunate to have been scammed by an idiot.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Harpo, you need someone with a very specific set of skills ...

Wait, you got a genuine watch from him? How do you know it's not just a better fake?
  • Break his leg.

• harpo said:

If he's used his real email and phone number, then he's a cretin. Most scammers do not. You're fortunate to have been scammed by an idiot.  
    I know an idiot scammer ;)