How much different is Freesat to SKY from the users point of view

RockerRocker Frets: 4985
We have a SKY subscription. A monthly drain on our funds. Nearly all the channels we access on SKY are available on Freesat. The SKY record a program or series is good. Has Freesat something similar? Simply put, is there much difference in the two systems? Thanks
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    We have Freesat. Depends which box you get as to the functionality - we have a Humax one, they're generally regarded as a good make. We can record individual or series link really easily. It's also good for on-demand content.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    The Humax freesat box is pretty good, does everything you want. The program guide was a bit slow and clunky on the one I had but it's quite old and they may be better nowadays. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2327
    I phoned up to cancel my sky tv account - usually to get a better deal, but these days not that bothered.

however, they did say they that you can get a package which allows you all the freeview channels and the sky box to trecord them.    

think it basically cost me £5 a month for that which is what I've done as the decent humax boxes are about £150 refurbed.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Humax Freesat Boxes have series link record. They typically feature iPlayer / other On Demand Players as well. iPlayer now supports "play from start" for live programmes that have already started. 
    The newer the box, the faster the programme guide works in my experience. There are also apps to control it from your phone e.g. when your out of the house and want to record something....at least the FreeView versions do that (Free View being like FreeSat but via standard TV aerial.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    thomasw88 said:
    I phoned up to cancel my sky tv account - usually to get a better deal, but these days not that bothered.

however, they did say they that you can get a package which allows you all the freeview channels and the sky box to trecord them.    

think it basically cost me £5 a month for that which is what I've done as the decent humax boxes are about £150 refurbed.

Did you get a return call offering you the full package at a heavily discounted rate for six months?

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2327
    RobDavies said:
    thomasw88 said:

Did you get a return call offering you the full package at a heavily discounted rate for six months?

not yet.. usually do and go with the offer ,  but we have netflix for the kids, and Kodi so not really interested in it although the wife does like to be able to record some stuff so was looking at one of the humax boxes..

the deal they offered me was basically to extend my fibre optic/phone deal for a year and then have the sky+ feature (which is just the freeview + recording facility).   they charge £10 a month for that normally.
  • Wifey tried to cancel l our Sky sub last year.in the end we were offered a package which included Sky+ services, box sets and Sky 1, Arts, Atlantic, etc.