Heaven help us... Blair's considering a political comeback

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    Thatcher too.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22170
    edited October 2016
    And Michael Foot's going to be on Corbyn's shadow cabinet in two months time. 

Maybe Blair is going to reform the Whig Party. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I hear there's a dictator in Syria who needs removing from power too. Maybe Tony would like us to invade.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6693
    He's a nutter, a freak and a charlatan. Let's put him in the stocks and throw condoms full of jelly at him. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He was a better PM than Dodgy Dave!  
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    He was a better PM than Dodgy Dave!  
    No, not even given Cameron's EU referendum screw-up. That has some possible longer-term good results as well as possible bad ones, and I say that as a strongly pro-Remain voter. Even if it's not all good it won't cause a lot of harm other than to our own economy.

On the other hand Blair is responsible for the destabilisation and destruction of an entire region, hundreds of thousands or even millions of deaths, the rise of an exceptionally nasty terrorist pseudo-state and satellite organisations in other parts of the world, an enormous refugee crisis which has had consequences in Europe that could lead to the return of the far right, and seriously deteriorating relations between the US and Russia.

And that's *just* what the Iraq war caused.

He also, along with Brown, made serious economic mistakes which at best magnified the financial crisis and made it harder to recover from, and at worst actually caused it.

Cameron was our worst PM of modern times in terms of competence, but not in terms of the harm he did to the world.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    Presumably he'd have to stand trial for his war crimes first?
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Blair's forming a new party with David Cameron ... it's simply called Remain and aims to attract all those lonely people who haven't got over the referendum result.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067

In all seriousness - the whole "cool Britannia" thing started around the time that Blair came to power.  So he was doing something right back then.

The current political climate and the state of the country seems a long way from that, right now.

I would consider it highly unlikely that he'll come back.... could we have Obama instead, please?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    New UKIP leader?
    We are all Chameleons...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TonyR said:

New UKIP leader?
    Don't be silly, UKIP would never be foolish enough to allow a former leader with an outsize ego who everyone thought they'd seen the last of to run the party.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2016
    Fretwired said:
    Blair's forming a new party with David Cameron ... it's simply called Remain and aims to attract all those lonely people who haven't got over the referendum result.
    You definitely sound like you're not still thinking about it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    In other news, I agree with everything @ICBM has ever said re. Blair, and I'd suggest there's a serious case for him as our worst ever PM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited October 2016
    I've read (in a completely trustworthy dossier of course) that His Tonyness could arrive back in UK
     politics within 45 minutes.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I understand that he will be presenting the next series of Guitar Star.
  • I want him back in the public eye, I am interested to see how is Strat Collection is coming along, they may be like their owner........."Roadworn"

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    I want him back in the public eye, I am interested to see how is Strat Collection is coming along, they may be like their owner........."Roadworn"
    By "roadworn" you presumably mean "looking like a melted waxwork of himself".

I suppose he's preparing for being further disfigured by the fires of hell that surely await him.
  • Bucket said:
    I want him back in the public eye, I am interested to see how is Strat Collection is coming along, they may be like their owner........."Roadworn"
    By "roadworn" you presumably mean "looking like a melted waxwork of himself".

I suppose he's preparing for being further disfigured by the fires of hell that surely await him.

Exactly. However, I don't even think Hell would let him in.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bucket said:
    In other news, I agree with everything @ICBM has ever said re. Blair, and I'd suggest there's a serious case for him as our worst ever PM.
    No way - Heath and Major were worst but the biggest turd in the pile was Cameron. Funny how they're all Tories.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I'd put Major down as much less incompetent than Cameron. Heath is a bit before my time really so I'm not as sure about him - I was just a child when he was PM - but wasn't brilliant. Worse than Major definitely. Eden was extremely poor too (and was another Tory).

The point about Blair is that he was a strong, competent PM… who did an enormous amount of serious harm to the world in general and the country to an extent. He might not have been that bad as *our* PM, but from a global perspective he is.

The Iraq war is the single most catastrophic episode in British foreign policy since at least before WWII, if not much further back than that. The long-term damage is immeasurable, both for the region itself and also the impact it's had on Europe and Britain - it's led directly to the Syrian war and probably to the tension between the US, EU and Russia which resulted in the Ukraine war. Who knows where those will end.

And it was Blair's decision alone, in his one-to-one meeting with Dubya.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom