2 x 12 and 1 x 12?

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
If I plugged my head into  my 2 x 12,could I then plug a 1 x 12 into the extension socket of it providing they were both 16 ohms? For example, my blackstar artisan 2 x 12 and a marshall 1912?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Yes. Set the amp to 8 ohms.

The amp can only 'see' the impedance of the cab, not the number of speakers in it, the power handling or any other parameter. Power is always divided equally between cabs of the same impedance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So, my h and k does it intelligently without the need to set it, would this still be ok?
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Jetfire said:
    So, my h and k does it intelligently without the need to set it, would this still be ok?
    Like ICBM says the 2 16ohm cabs connected in parallel will appear as a single 8ohm cab to the amp as far as the amp is concerned, so it's exactly the same as plugging in a single 8ohm cab.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Awesome
    If it's the H&K Grandmeister it's almost certainly much simpler than the amp "intelligently" switching - which would be difficult and unnecessarily complex - it's just designed to accept any impedance between 8 and 16 ohms and not mind… which is a sensible approach.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The power handling may be very different though. I've done this before so I could use the 1 X 12 as a drum fill. The 2 X 12 was fine but the 1 X 12 distorted to buggery.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    The power handling may be very different though. I've done this before so I could use the 1 X 12 as a drum fill. The 2 X 12 was fine but the 1 X 12 distorted to buggery.
    The same power goes to each cab, so if the 1x12" is rated for less than half the power of the amp you'll be pushing it too hard.

It won't be a problem here because the Marshall 1912 - assuming it still has the stock speaker - is a 150W cab.