Cab to go with a Peavey Classic 30 Combo?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    G12H Anniversary, or the new G12H-75 Creamback if it's cheaper (unlikely) for the most vintage-type sounds, or Classic Lead 80 for a tighter modern sound. The V30 is good too but is very tight in the bass and has a spike in the upper-mid which might clash with the speaker in the combo.

Or possibly the G12T-75 which is cheaper, although it's less sensitive even than the V-Type.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Get one made up. Here's a 4 x 10 that AF Custom Cabs made for me.

• Gah, so many choices! Just to ask a dumb question over and over, if I go with a 1x12, it would have to be a 16 ohm speaker to match the Peavey...

What to do, what to do... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72354

Gah, so many choices! Just to ask a dumb question over and over, if I go with a 1x12, it would have to be a 16 ohm speaker to match the Peavey...
    Yes. If you're buying a speaker separately there's no sense in mismatching it.

If it was me? I'd just get a G12H Anniversary and not worry about it any more! It's a classic for a reason. The tone description on the Celestion site is wrong too, it doesn't really have a 'hard' edge - it's a warm-sounding speaker, although it does have more top-end than something like a V30 which is more mid-focused.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited January 2014
    and just stick it in a montage cab? ;)

Yep, that's what I'll do!